Thread: 10/22 & Tac14 Hunting

10/22 & Tac14 Hunting

I've been doing back-country camping for a while now but I am fairly new to HUNTING.
    I only have my 10/22 (iron sight) and Tac 14-12 gauge (bead sight) for my non-restricted (no budget for big game this year).

So folks my question is simple:
    - WHAT can I hunt with 10/22 and/or Tac14
    - WHERE in Region 2 specifically (I'll push for the outskirts of Region 3 or 8

I was hoping for Grouse and/or Hare or perhaps Canada/Cackling geese. I've read Delta for Geese and west of Harrison for grouse and for hare I am not sure since most of the forums says they are everywhere? I drive 4x4 I'll get through logging road and I will camp no problem. And I have been trying to reach out to other hunters who can show me the ropes for years now but no dice. This is why it took me a while to get my CORE done. But I do appreciate any thoughts from you guys and gals..

Thank You!
    Last edited by need4meat; 07-29-2020 at 02:23 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 10/22 & Tac14 Hunting

Grouse and bunnies with ruger.
    That's really all.
    Region 2 is not spectacular for either.
    Grouse like black spruce and bunnies like meadows and roadways with grass.
    But if you are new to hunting and shooting you will do well to throw the ruger deep in the safe somewhere and bring the the 12 ga.

You have to understand the "showing the rope" business these days. Everyone is a bit skittish for fear of tying the wrong knot.
    The best thing is to just sit in the truck and go up high and see what you can see.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Stick to the 10/22 for the first while until you get a proper hunting shotgun.
    You could use the tac-14 to hunt, but without a stock that thing would be damn near useless for most people.

As for where, google earth, the hunting synopsis, municipal maps/regulations are what you need to study. Buy a Region 2 Backroads Mapbook and hit the dirt.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Thanks for your reply.. grouse and hare it is, I will keep an eye out where there's black spruce and meadows., I've been going to the range and shooting out in the bush for a while now... I am slowly switching to non-restricted since more than half my arsenal are paperweight now.

My first pick would be my Ruger for sure., although I have been having a lot of fun using that Tac14. Has a lot of kick for sure loading 00 buck or slug hipfire., but bird shot is pretty manageable, you can aim down sight just fine after getting the hang of it - thanks for the heads up man. I have been using google earth particularly terrain and topography when venturing out back-country. I have been incorporating Hunting Synopsis and see where a good spot I think might be. I'll have to get me a copy of that Region 2 Backroads Mapbook and go as far where my truck will take me and hit the dirt like you said, that works with me. MU 2-2, 2-3 and 2-19 is where I think I'll start., let me know otherwise. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by need4meat View Post
    My first pick would be my Ruger for sure., although I have been having a lot of fun using that Tac14. Has a lot of kick for sure loading 00 buck or slug hipfire., but bird shot is pretty manageable, you can aim down sight just fine after getting the hang of it - thanks for the heads up man. I have been using google earth particularly terrain and topography when venturing out back-country. I have been incorporating Hunting Synopsis and see where a good spot I think might be. I'll have to get me a copy of that Region 2 Backroads Mapbook and go as far where my truck will take me and hit the dirt like you said, that works with me. MU 2-2, 2-3 and 2-19 is where I think I'll start., let me know otherwise. thanks!
    I would recommend 2-18 and 8-5 as well.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."