Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texas Creek Hunting Closure

Re: Texas Creek Hunting/Usage Closure

Quote Originally Posted by ajeatoo View Post
    I can't link to the fb post for some reason but I can insert some of the wording:

Note from the original post:

"Known grizzlies live in this watershed, in particular, a female with two cubs that are in dire need of protection; this female is known to be one of the only reproducing females left within this declining, endangered population. The area that is left within the Texas Creek watershed, identified as core/critical habitat, is intersected heavily by roads, coupled with heavy recreational use (we have been tracking ATVs and motorized vehicles for the past years now). In addition, these roads fragment the grizzly habitat, and there have been obvious impacts and behavior changes on the female grizzly as she attempts to feed her cubs in the meadows/by the lakes that ATVs, etc. drive right through. She has been displaced and forced out of foraging areas by recreational traffic pressures (keep in mind that much of the "vast area" within this watershed is rock and ice, as well). The Biological reasoning behind this closure is too strong in evidence to not proceed with this action; this grizzly population will decline into non-existence if we do not step up to make changes. We encourage further dialogue and ideas as we develop long term plans to protect and help this Grizzly Bear population to recover within this and other watersheds."

At this time no confirmation that RSTBC and FLNRO are even aware of it.
    If FLNRO is not backing this attempted closure then everyone should carry on....

Re: Texas Creek Hunting Closure

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    ������������ the grizzlies have been thriving in those areas for years, there are plenty just much of it is poor access so its not realized. To start allowing for closures for individual animals is just asinine. This is just another one of a thousand excuses and areas to keep none natives out. Its a phucking travesty that its got this gar already. Special privileges are to easily excepted these days.

That area has been logged and used for cattle grazing for years it has some delapetated mining trails, likely how the natives even found the place to use it ceremonially ......
    There is a good grizzly population in there, probably even more so now since hunting is banned.
    I used to see them all the time in the Van Horlick area near Duffy lake.
    Name of the game just like you said is to keep non natives out and it's happening all over the province.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Could someone post a map of where you are talking about ?
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Buddy and me tried to get up there last year and there was a slide across the road that he was scared to even try in his Land Cruiser.

I've been along on trips where that thing could damn near climb trees, but not this time. Too many pointy oil-pan rippers on that slide.

Too bad. I was itching to see the place again. Hadn't been there in years and years.
    That was cleared within weeks of the slide. Many people use that area, so it's not a surprise.

Was just up there 2 weeks ago and came face to face with this. This was at the second to last switch back from the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21056459-7D46-4056-BCB6-B40E676572CA.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	8003  

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Could someone post a map of where you are talking about ?
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Texas Creek is in MU 3-16 I don't know the exact area in that region they are trying to close down but Texas Creek FSR enters that MU from Lillooet. They said they will be posting a map of the area but as of yet they haven't done that.

Re: Texas Creek Hunting/Usage Closure

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    If FLNRO is not backing this attempted closure then everyone should carry on....
    The Cascades District is apparently who manages that area, however their office out of Merritt is closed due to covid. I left a message just to get some information, will see if I get a response.

Update to add: I did speak with the engineer at the Cascades District, he said he has received several emails asking about this in addition to my phone call. He is not aware of any closure and has sent out some emails to his contacts requesting information. He said in order to close an FSR especially one that has road permit users for things like mining and watershed access he has to go through a very specific process and that process has not happened at least on their end. He said he would let me know what he finds out.

I drove Whistler to Lillooet over the weekend. A ton of the rec sites and parking spots were gated, big signs "closed", etc.
    I'm pretty sure most of that is not government endorsed, but rather the locals. it's a bit frustrating, really.

Simply using a global pandemic as a means to justify your desire to keep people out. I just don't understand how you can be ok with the white man making and delivering you all the supplies you need, but not OK with that man wanting to take a swim at the nearby lake. It's absurd that they think aanyone buys the logic behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I drove Whistler to Lillooet over the weekend. A ton of the rec sites and parking spots were gated, big signs "closed", etc.
    I'm pretty sure most of that is not government endorsed, but rather the locals. it's a bit frustrating, really.

Simply using a global pandemic as a means to justify your desire to keep people out. I just don't understand how you can be ok with the white man making and delivering you all the supplies you need, but not OK with that man wanting to take a swim at the nearby lake. It's absurd that they think aanyone buys the logic behind it.
    Are you talking about the rec sites on the Duffey like Gott Creek and Cinnamon etc?