Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radios on FSR

Radios on FSR

I hope I can get some guidance from experienced members.

The old Boafengs were popular radios among recreational users of the FSRs. The government protocols have changed and I need some help from the more knowledgeable members on these questions:
    1. What is your recommendation for a radio for monitoring the communications on FSR roads now? For me, this radio will be used for a limited time per year, and so, I like it to work reasonably well while being low cost and low maintenance.
    2. My understanding is that you need a license to use these radios. Any ideas how this can be done in COVID times? Better yet, correct me and tell me that a license is not required.
    3. Is it illegal to use the Bofengs for monitoring the communications on FSRs, if they can still work with the new protocols (not sure if they can)?

Thanks all in advance,
    B
    "If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Radios on FSR

They are expensive but i bought a radio for my truck that has all the RR channels programmed in. The shop sold it to me and never asked to see a licence. I figure if I have a radio and I follow the road rules, everyone is safer.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

I use a baofeng, works great. I was happy to have it the other day as there was a pile of logging traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tins View Post
    They are expensive but i bought a radio for my truck that has all the RR channels programmed in. The shop sold it to me and never asked to see a licence. I figure if I have a radio and I follow the road rules, everyone is safer.
    Same here. Bought a used ICOM radio pre- programmed with all of the RR and oil/gas road channels.
    Excellent range and essential for backroads travel up north!

I run a uv-5r in the truck. Any logger would rather you run a grey/black market radio than no radio at all. Added bonus that I can switch to my company’s frequencies when we’re short on hand helds. A hard mounted icom/ equivilent will get more range though (at ten times the price).

I run a icom truck unit. And a baofang handheld. Almost never use the handheld now that I have a 30 watt in the truck.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

You dont really need anything better than a Baofeng hand held. Any thing you get thats "better" than a Baofeng is because you want it but not need it.---my opinion--my needs.

I use Icom in the truck and for handhelds,,the expense is only once and you wont regret it

The basic ICOM I recently bought was 250-300 bucks and it was programmed with probably 12 channels, the next model up was I think around 400 bucks and you can program that one yourself. No licence required as far as I know,lol..the basic one works for me and I use it everyday.

Having a truck radio vs a handheld is worth it. You transmit distances are much greater. 6-10 times. If you get into serious trouble, a radio can be a life saver. Call your km’s and pull over for the guys hauling. You’ll go a long way to getting a bit of respect. If you only have a hand held, make sure you call at least every two km.