Thread: Cow Calling Mid to Late October?

Cow Calling Mid to Late October?

Our moose hunt will be the second half of October in 7-27 so a bit after the rut. Worth buying a call and practicing up?
    Blacktail Nut

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cow Calling Mid to Late October?

I don’t think it would hurt. Don’t even need to buy a call, just YouTube call calling and you can learn how to do it with just your mouth. I had an LEH in November one year (reg3) and I cow called in 2 bulls at once. Quickest hunt I’ve been on, we got to camp the night before, slept in till 10 and had 2 bulls down at 11...

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    I don’t think it would hurt. Don’t even need to buy a call, just YouTube call calling and you can learn how to do it with just your mouth. I had an LEH in November one year (reg3) and I cow called in 2 bulls at once. Quickest hunt I’ve been on, we got to camp the night before, slept in till 10 and had 2 bulls down at 11...

why do I feel like that’s the kind of hunt you see on tv. You can’t beat that luck !

The CO' and some hunters say that their are 2 ruts. The big one in Sept. and another one later on. The young bulls are looking for a cow all fall. They have lots of vinegar left as they don't really fight much and do not have a herd of cows to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    why do I feel like that’s the kind of hunt you see on tv. You can’t beat that luck !
    Yeah it was a little ridiculous dealing with 2 bulls at the same time lol

Typically, cow moose enter estrus in the latter part of September, presumably after the first frost of autumn and this period usually lasts about 3 to 4 weeks or into the end of the second week of October. If she has not been bred, then she will enter a second and may even a third or fourth estrus. Going beyond the second estrus is a pretty good indicator that bulls are not present.
    In the last part of October, bulls will usually have a waning interest in copulating and will "yard up" with their buddies. This is the time that if you see one bull moose, you better look hard for more because they will be near by.
    By all means, do a cow call spaced at 3 or 4 minute intervals for a 20 to 25 minute duration. Always in more or less the same direction. After this sequence do a couple of bull grunts 4 or 5 minutes apart and then wait quietly for a half hour or so. If nothing shows, them move on and comeback later in the day.
    If you're hunting mountainous area and it's quite warm, hunt high for the bulls. They ain't coming down until they're dam good and ready or all of a sudden the temperatures drop.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"