Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot X vs Gen 3

Re: Spot X vs Gen 3

Depends if you just want a communicator, or you want the GPS features as well. I have a Zoleo bc I don't really need the GPS function, its probably the best for communication, but it also requires your cell phone to work, its not stand alone. That being said I can text or email any contract I have and anyone that has my Zoleo phone number can do the same to me. You can also suspend your subscription to avoid activation fees the next time you want to use it. Just another option, but like I said its strictly a communication tool
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

The spot x is like a phone you message back and forth like normal text

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Depends if you just want a communicator, or you want the GPS features as well. I have a Zoleo bc I don't really need the GPS function, its probably the best for communication, but it also requires your cell phone to work, its not stand alone. That being said I can text or email any contract I have and anyone that has my Zoleo phone number can do the same to me. You can also suspend your subscription to avoid activation fees the next time you want to use it. Just another option, but like I said its strictly a communication tool
    Thanks. I was considering that one too. I wouldn’t mind GPS too, but it’s not totally essential.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    The spot x is like a phone you message back and forth like normal text
    Do you have one? How is the GPS portion of it?

Yes I have one, I never have used the gps part of it yet. I have gaia gps on my I phone which’s is really good. I bring my spot x and my iPhone, spot x for communication, iPhone for gps/ camera and I always bring a e book to read on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Yes I have one, I never have used the gps part of it yet. I have gaia gps on my I phone which’s is really good. I bring my spot x and my iPhone, spot x for communication, iPhone for gps/ camera and I always bring a e book to read on my phone.
    do you use Gaia with a basic or pro subscription? Does it offer any better details than google earth? Bing map quality would be awesome!
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

The thing with Gaia is you can use it like a gps with no cell service. I had the premium last year but I only got the normal version this year.

I don’t know what bing maps are

I have a Spot X and have never used anything else for reference. I bought it because at the time the unit was cheaper than the Garmin inreach and from what i could tell the plan was cheaper. So far it has worked ok, i just rarely use it. The messages do seem to have a big delay (i think all do) but I don't think I have had any not send. You can save points and tracks but there is no real map on the unit for reference. One feature that is very nice especially if you have someone at home who is concerned is that you can set up a private page. Then send the web link and your password to whoever you'd like and it will show your track on a google earth map. They can see where you are when you moved etc. makes it better if your plans change and you forget to send a message which I do frequently.

The biggest downside is now i get in trouble for not checking in. But honestly before I couldn't anyway and it's the last thing on my mind when I'm out.

Let me know if you have any more questions ill try to answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by m5wilson View Post
    I have a Spot X and have never used anything else for reference. I bought it because at the time the unit was cheaper than the Garmin inreach and from what i could tell the plan was cheaper. So far it has worked ok, i just rarely use it. The messages do seem to have a big delay (i think all do) but I don't think I have had any not send. You can save points and tracks but there is no real map on the unit for reference. One feature that is very nice especially if you have someone at home who is concerned is that you can set up a private page. Then send the web link and your password to whoever you'd like and it will show your track on a google earth map. They can see where you are when you moved etc. makes it better if your plans change and you forget to send a message which I do frequently.

The biggest downside is now i get in trouble for not checking in. But honestly before I couldn't anyway and it's the last thing on my mind when I'm out.

Let me know if you have any more questions ill try to answer them.
    Thanks for your reply. The X seems to be way cheaper than the Garmin equivalent. I think I’d like the ability to send and receive messages without using my phone, and as far as the gps goes, I think if I could leave a waypoint at camp, and then at least have a track, or the ability to see if I’m moving back towards camp from a different direction, that would be enough. My iHunter app and its maps seem to work well even without cell service, but it would be good to have a separate and redundant system.

Everyone I know that's tried spot x has trashed it. Buy a Garmin. I have the old inreach explorer+, it's great. GPS and reliable communication in one. Get the cheapest plan they offer and pay for the overages when you need to use it. Paying for the higher plan is not worth it unless you use it regularly 12 months a year.

I've tried everything, inreach, spot, had a Globalstar satellite phone until the pricing for out of control, used iridium phones for years at work...The Delorme/inreach/Garmin devices are where it's at for reliability and cost balance.
    Last edited by ryanb; 07-25-2020 at 12:59 PM.