Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot X vs Gen 3

Re: Spot X vs Gen 3

I have a Spot Gen 3. It sends pre-defined messages and does tracking as well.

You can make the OK, Custom, Assist buttons say whatever you want, but you have to configure it on their website before you go.

I once set my OK button to "I'm OK. 3x in 1hr means bear down, come help" ... that came in handy. Dumped a big bear just as the heat was kicking in. Hit OK on the spot each time it had finished the prior message while I worked on the bear. Wife and brother showed up just in time for the packout

Careful adding the phone numbers / emails though. Turns out for years I was sending "I love you and miss you like crazy" (custom button) to some random dude, along with my GPS coordinates. Never realized it because my wife was getting the message via email and didn't know it was supposed to go through txt too.

It does take 15-20 mins for a message to go through. It seems mostly reliable. Out of a couple hundred messages sent, I think we had 3 that did not go through, but did not show up as a failed send (red light) on the unit. That said, if I ever had to use the SOS button, it's enough I'd wonder if the message went out... though I "think" (look it up to be sure) that SOS keeps transmitting while a subsequent SOS press cancels it.

It's good enough for me anyway. A bit pricy though. I think my subscription was around $230 USD this year. There are probably better options for the money. I reach maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Turns out for years I was sending "I love you and miss you like crazy" (custom button) to some random dude, along with my GPS coordinates.
    This is some funny Shiite! Maybe he came to check you out but you weren’t his type?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    This is some funny Shiite! Maybe he came to check you out but you weren’t his type?
    Lol maybe. A friend of mine suggested (after this all came to light) that I send one last message...

"I thought we had something special. Fine! If you don't want to play MY game, I'll come to you"

I told him I'd probably end up with a restraining order, to which he replied "well, if it's not an indictable offense you're not even trying"

I have some strange friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Everyone I know that's tried spot x has trashed it. Buy a Garmin. I have the old inreach explorer+, it's great. GPS and reliable communication in one. Get the cheapest plan they offer and pay for the overages when you need to use it. Paying for the higher plan is not worth it unless you use it regularly 12 months a year.

I've tried everything, inreach, spot, had a Globalstar satellite phone until the pricing for out of control, used iridium phones for years at work...The Delorme/inreach/Garmin devices are where it's at for reliability and cost balance.
    If I were to do it again I would probably buy a Garmin. Although I have no real reason to other than the Spot X has never wow'd me but it also hasn't failed me so I haven't bothered to change it. It has worked for what it is but I don't find myself wanting to use it. It sits in my pack as an extra safety measure.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I have a Spot Gen 3. It sends pre-defined messages and does tracking as well.

You can make the OK, Custom, Assist buttons say whatever you want, but you have to configure it on their website before you go.

I once set my OK button to "I'm OK. 3x in 1hr means bear down, come help" ... that came in handy. Dumped a big bear just as the heat was kicking in. Hit OK on the spot each time it had finished the prior message while I worked on the bear. Wife and brother showed up just in time for the packout

Careful adding the phone numbers / emails though. Turns out for years I was sending "I love you and miss you like crazy" (custom button) to some random dude, along with my GPS coordinates. Never realized it because my wife was getting the message via email and didn't know it was supposed to go through txt too.

It does take 15-20 mins for a message to go through. It seems mostly reliable. Out of a couple hundred messages sent, I think we had 3 that did not go through, but did not show up as a failed send (red light) on the unit. That said, if I ever had to use the SOS button, it's enough I'd wonder if the message went out... though I "think" (look it up to be sure) that SOS keeps transmitting while a subsequent SOS press cancels it.

It's good enough for me anyway. A bit pricy though. I think my subscription was around $230 USD this year. There are probably better options for the money. I reach maybe?
    Im wit Caddisguy. I have the Gen 3. Seems to work well. I’ve never had to hit the SOS button, but I’m sure it works. The OK button works just fine and it makes the wife happy. I don’t want another gadget to text on. I text enough when I’m not hunting. It’s nice to just have the thing do what it’s function is and that’s it.
    if you don’t go with the basic plan you can pay by the month and don’t need to pay all year round if you’re not using it for part of the year.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Hmm just got the genx SPOT 2 weeks ago
    sent 60 messages..all received. Most replied within 10 minutes..
    Haven't tried the tracking yet..
    was at Sheridan..message to van island and return message in 10 minutes
    Srupp

Garmin 66i is $$$$. Don't waste ur time or $$ with other platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron600 View Post
    Garmin 66i is $$$$. Don't waste ur time or $$ with other platforms
    Hmm no failures with SPOT in 10 years..
    new unit flawless in 60 uses.l
    srupp

The Spot works and the new ones you can text on are great. The downfall of Spot is paying for it all year long and how much does it really get used over the year .
    Now Garmin you can pay for the time its used and cancelled for the rest of the year if not. using it ..........However now that Garmin has been hacked and if they don't pay up the 10 Million Bucks to the hackers there may be zero use of Garmin on those heading out in the hills for Sheep right now.

I believe you can get a plan with Spot that is month by month.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.