Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot X vs Gen 3

Spot X vs Gen 3

Anyone using either of these care to chime in on the differences, what you like or don’t like, and how you would do it today if you had a chance to change it up?

My understanding is that the X can be used to trace a track on the screen like a regular GPS? I don’t have a gps other than what’s in my phone, which so far has worked well enough in areas with no cell service using iHunter maps. It can also send regular text type messages, correct?

Can you send created on the fly messages with the Gen 3, or is it just pre selected ones like “all is well” or “send help, I effed up” type stuff?

Since neither is terribly expensive, and my wife has suggested I really don’t “need” another shotgun, budget isn’t a factor. That said, I also don’t want to spend money foolishly. The service plans seem to be the same cost for both units.

Thanks for any input!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spot X vs Gen 3

If budget isn’t a factor don’t even consider either of those devices.

Garmin 66I and never look back. You can thank me later, and your wife will thank me if and when it saves your skin.

I have the spot X and it works well. The keyboard could be a little more refined but I have no trouble with it. We used it more then the sat phone last year. There is a pretty good delay between messages

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    If budget isn’t a factor don’t even consider either of those devices.

Garmin 66I and never look back. You can thank me later, and your wife will thank me if and when it saves your skin.
    She’ll thank me more if you set me up with your secret white tail spot!

Seriously though, I’ll look at the Garmin as well. Have you used the Spot before?

Yikes. Closing in on $900 before taxes for the 66i. That’s like an X with two more for backup...
    Last edited by Redthies; 07-24-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I have the spot X and it works well. The keyboard could be a little more refined but I have no trouble with it. We used it more then the sat phone last year. There is a pretty good delay between messages
    What sort of delay? Like 1/2 hour or?

I think the delay depends on how far north you are. It also seems to depend where the satellites are in relation to you. Some times 5mins, average 10-15mins and some time’s maybe 30mins in the outside. It’s just not fast like our iPhones which we are all used to. Works well

I have a gen 3 and have tested it a bit but the fact you don’t know if your message went through isn’t too cool. That said I still keep it with me. Just another small monthly payment haha. Saw a CO with one in their truck so it can’t be too bad

The spot X is like a phone you text back and forth. It doesn’t say delivered but when you
    get a response you know it went through

x2 for the Garmin. I've had a spot gen 3, and a spot connect, and now have a Garmin inReach. So nice to have the 2 way messaging.

Which Garmin do you have Karma? The Spot X is 2 way messaging capable.