Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5-15A Moose draw

5-15A Moose draw

Wondering if anyone could offer some insight as to some good areas in 5-15A for Moose. Its mine and my son's first moose hunt (Oct 23-30th) any local tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks-Morgan

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 5-15A Moose draw

Good day sir.

firstly, you should always open with a joke !

this forum has a wealth of knowledge and everyone is willing to share, make sure to stick around and contribute when you can and learn as much as you can!

My hunting buddy and myself have that draw sept 10-30. We will have a bunch of cameras up and will be pounding the ground everyday, if we are lucky enough to fill out moose tag we will continue to hunt bear.. don’t hesitate to keep in touch and I will gladly relay any information we learn about the area to you once our hunt is done, from areas we saw sign, to moose, wolves anything relevant. I’ve spent countless hours computer scouting the area and have made a trip up to check it out... amazing area, even if the hunt is unsuccessful there will be lots of memories !

depending if you’re roughing it or not, consider crooked lake cabins as a host !

Awesome, thanks so much. We have 3 cabins booked at Crooked Lake. We've put together a fathers n sons hunting group and we lucky enough to get 6 moose. Any help about the area will be greatly appreciated.
    Morgan

One thing you should know about staying at Crooked Lake is Al & Kim like to eat their dessert first.

6 moose, all post rut .. I’m by no means a moose expert as this will be my first hunt for anything besides Immys, but something tells me that’ll be a very tall task after the rut when they are all hunkered down on food and likely won’t come to calls .. definitely doesn’t hurt to try !

amazing yourself and 2 other groups you know all got the same draw at the same time though, that’s beyond impressive and the stars have aligned for you.. fingers crossed you get your moose.

That’s the last 6 bulls, if you’re successful...

Quote Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
    That’s the last 6 bulls, if you’re successful...
    glad we got our draw early September ! Though won’t stop me from trying to be helpful where I can.

We had this draw (Sep 1 -30 timing) three years ago. Stayed near the horsefly river where the road to Crooked Lake cuts down. There is slash up high to the east and to the north of Horsefly river which I would be checking out for sure. We found it hard as a lot of the zone is either very thick timber and regen or wide open slash and for much of our hunt the moose were not coming into calling. Ran into a few cows over our week there but no bulls. The last few days of the hunt as rut activity was picking up there were two bulls shot, one right on the horsefly mainline around noon and one up in the higher cut blocks. Good luck!

I seem to recall McKinley Meadows was good. Its been 12 or so years but there were some good slashes and wicked meadows around there. Bosk lake has some killer fish! Bring rods and make sure you fish it!

I’m heading into that area as well, and having issues going through the new digital regs, but is there a motorized vehicle restriction in that area?, I was looking into renting a cabin or something for a week while i`m out and about and as a base camp, know that area where they give you an out when you buy your Leh?...whoops I missed it and applied for the wrong zone..ill be up deception/boss area