Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backcountry first aid kit

Re: Backcountry first aid kit

i have had a number of occasions when i've had multiple insect bites, stepping on a wasp nest, huge mosquito swarms, etc. so i always have lots of anti-histamine tablets. an israeli pressure bandage is a good item, as well as leukotape, self-adhering pet bandage wrap (pet supply store), large tampons for heavy bleeding, tweezers.
    circumstances can change quick, even if you're a pro, just ask these guys:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVy55eUCkg

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    Most of the old time coastal layout guys I worked with carried rather simple first aid kits while working 14 day shifts in the bush with no support vehicles.

A pill bottle or film canister packed with "weed" and they all called it their first aid kit!
    I know many guys like this. Lol. The funny part was when they said they were meeting up for a safety meeting, but they were actually meeting up to burn one.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Something I never really thought of until last week was I tried feeding my eleven year old some adult Advil, but he’s never had to swallow a pill before and he couldn’t overcome it.

So I had to add kids Advil to the list
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Hey fellas, I'll chime in hear too. I cut my leg with my chain saw a couple months back and posted up some pics and a bit of a story. The point I was trying to make then was to take measures to prevent the injuries from occurring in the first place. I know that shit happens and you can not plan or predict everything but if I had been wearing my bucking pants I would not have been cut. If you can wear PPE to do some of your hunting chores like cutting fire wood, or using an axe do it. I'm going to from now on. It would have sucked if I was in hunting camp up the river when I cut my leg with my saw. So guys and gals, be safe have fun and try to make good decisions. Good luck.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

Hmm to a certain extent..it's better to have it and not need it..then to need it and not have it..
    ie couple 82 MG Asa.
    Once basics are learned ..improvisation. .not what is in a level 2 first aid kit..what have I got that will accomplish the same task ?
    this comes with experience.
    No matter how prepared you are there will be times when calling in for help is the wisest decision. .do not delay that decision..
    That 1st hour is referred to as the golden hour..bleed out..time is heart muscle in a cardiac event
    Have a Globalstar SPOT..or Garmin INREACH..or sat phone. ..ALWAYS.
    practice safe hunting skills to prevent as much as you can..
    Having a $1500 trauma kit is no good if it's 100 air miles at the truck..your kit is only as good as what you always take with you.
    I have seen a calm minded untrained individual do wonders with improvisation and determination.
    Cheers and be careful
    Srupp