Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backcountry first aid kit

Backcountry first aid kit

There’s lots of threads on gear and I was looking at my homemade First aid kit tonight as I was throwing my gear together. I know the most important part is having training to use the stuff you have, but what are you guys packing with you?

butterfly bandages
    super glue
    electrical tape
    clotting sponges
    one Israeli type compression bandage(mine is a different brand that seems to cover a lot of bases)
    Moleskins
    I have a few other things, but I can’t think of them right now. I’ll post the rest when I get home.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backcountry first aid kit

Think about what, realistically, can happen on your hunt and how you would address it. E.g. no need to pack a Tourniquet or Compression bandage if you never used one before. Many ways to skin a cat, it really only matters what you know how to use. Clotting sponges are a good example: Looks good in a movie but you actually need to know what you are doing or you do more harm than good. Butterfly bandages for example only apply in certain situations, and if it's hot and you are sweatty you actually need to think about how to clean and prep the skin before using them.

Single day/vs multi day? Distance to transportation?

Headache/Muscle ache: Painkiller
    Meds as needed

Deep cut/laceration? You carry a hatchet? What if you hit your foot? What if you hit your femoral?
    You roll your ankle?
    Blisters.
    If you roll your ankle/wrist/etc on a multi-day solo hike: Do you have a plan for how you get out? Ever tried to stabilize your own ankle in the field? Water supply?
    You fall in water. Really have a plan for preventing hypothermia when you are 2 days out?
    You injure yourself with your firearm?

All I am saying is: There is nothing worse than a false sense of confidence when it comes to first aid. Not important what's in your kit, it is more important that you think about what, realistically, can happen, plan it out, and PRACTISE that before you leave. Don't think "I would never cut myself with a hatchet or chainsaw" or "I would never accidentally shoot myself". Many other have made that mistake. If you only hike 3 hours from your car your kit will look very different from a week in the camp or a week long mountain solo hunt.

Becomes more interesting when you go with a partner/group: You need to talk about this stuff? Allergies? Do you know how to administer an epi pen? Do you know where it is? Do you know what kind of allergies your buddies have? What kind of meds they need?

Cut a 1.5" strip/strap from a bicycle inner tube. Roll it up, and secure it with a couple of 'elastic bands' cut from the tube. Done, it's about the size of a 35mm film canister. Fits in pocket or pack. Can be used as a tourniquet, bungee, cut some off for fire starter, etc. Bike shops will give you old inner tubes.

Check out ZipStitch.. for accidental knife injuries.
    A bad day in the bush beats just about anything...

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Cut a 1.5" strip/strap from a bicycle inner tube. Roll it up, and secure it with a couple of 'elastic bands' cut from the tube. Done, it's about the size of a 35mm film canister. Fits in pocket or pack. Can be used as a tourniquet, bungee, cut some off for fire starter, etc. Bike shops will give you old inner tubes.

This is a good idea.
    You can do the same with surgical tubing.

I think having some tylenol is good.
    I took a Level 2 first aid course for the company I work for which helps (theoretically). I will renew this again when it comes up.
    Good to have some anti histamine like Benadryl in case of allergies yet undiscovered.
    Go through scenarios of what could possibly happen.
    Cuts, bleeding, breaks, sprains, blisters, heat stroke etc.
    One thing that never crosses people's minds is that if you find blood or needles scary you need to get over it.
    Last thing you need is to get injured and then faint because you see blood.
    Thankfully I have not had to deal with any emergencies in the field, but being mentally ready is very important.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

That's some good, solid advice Would Rather Be Fishing. A good reminder to time filling those knowledge gaps before filling gaps in the kit.

My suggestion as a good multi-use item is Leukotape - it's kind of like your standard white athletic tape, but on steroids. It will last a week even if it gets wet, prevents blisters/heel rub, and can be used to wrap up a sprained ankle, wrist, shoulder etc. effectively with a little practice.

Aside from very basic daily stuff ( couple Band-Aids, zincofax, moleskin, and some Pepto/Motrin/2 Aspirin ) I carry very little for F/A.

I believe it was SRUPP a couple years ago that recommended carrying 2 Aspirin to chew in the event of cardiac incident. When you think of it, few of us know someone that needed medivac or suffered a major injury requiring hospitalization in the backcountry but we all know someone who has had a heart attack. For people like me who hunt alone and are not the youngest folks in the mountains, could be life saving.

I always carry a Israeli pressure bandage(very small and versatile) in case of a bad bleed and 1/2 roll of electrical tape (so many uses).

Most importantly Communications. Cell phone or satellite device. I just upgraded from my gen 1 Spot to an Inreach mini.

Lastly, make sure you always have some way to start a fire and create some basic shelter if you are immobilized and need to wait for help.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-22-2020 at 09:06 AM.

id loose the mole skin for some leukotape. mole skin sticks for all of 30 mins if that. been there done that.
    probably dont need a compression bandage either. your probably carrying a extra shirt or clean socks than can be used along with leukotape.
    superglue works wonders. if i ever nick myself with my knife just clean the area and glue it up and throw a wrap of tape around it.
    Alcohol pads are good for cleaning areas if a water source inst available.

my sheep hunting kit literally fit into a little snack size zip lock.

Leukotape
    half roll of electrical tape (also used to cover barrel of the gun)
    couple small gauze pads
    super glue (replace every season)
    Advil and muscle relaxers
    small tube of chapstick (luxury item haha)
    chlorine tablets (for water)
    alcohol pads.

the most valuable item though if something happens would be a SPOT or taking a satellite phone (i rent a sat phone every year for fly in sheep hunts. 125$ for a sat phone for 2 weeks is pretty valuable if you really need it)

Most of the old time coastal layout guys I worked with carried rather simple first aid kits while working 14 day shifts in the bush with no support vehicles.

A pill bottle or film canister packed with "weed" and they all called it their first aid kit!

A small tube of polysporin is not a bad item to add to the list.