Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Record Book Wolf with a Bow and Arrow

BC Record Book Wolf with a Bow and Arrow

Lots of new members since i first posted this, its a totally different hunt then most.

I was fixated on the large tan wolf 10 yards in front of me. Without moving my head I suddenly caught movement to my extreme right side and slowly turning my head I could see a large black wolf to my right at 12 yds. My anxiety level rose threw the roof as I came to the realization that I was alone in the middle of a large circling pack of wolves .

It was Sept 19th and with an LEH Authorization for a Mature Bull Moose in hand I had high hopes of harvesting a bull with my bow.

It was just getting light as I reached the eastern edge of the swamp and decided on a spot to sit just inside the Spruce trees that ringed the entire swamp. I took my back pack off and waited for about 5 minutes and bellowed out my first cow call and instantly heard a loud snap from the heavy timber on the south end of the swamp. I called again as soon as I could and could hear the sounds of the moose's hooves pounding the terrain as it raced full speed towards me. I quickly pulled the camo mask over my face and brought my Martin bow to full draw. I couldn't help but think how unusual it was to have the bull running so aggressively to my call, I'd called in dozens of bulls before but never ever had one running like a horse through a pasture to get to the call.

I could hear it getting closer and closer as it's hooves pounded the ground, it's body snapping the branches and shrubs that stood in its way. It was only seconds away now from being right in front of me. I can see the brush moving and hear its deep guteral breathing as it rushed towards me, I came to full draw ready to release the arrow. Holly shit ....... it was a cow moose, her chest was heaving with every deep breathe she took. Disappointed I relaxed the broadhead tipped arrow but left it on the rest as the cow started to move around me so that my back was now towards the swamp. She stood 9 yds from me while I softly grunted to her and wondered how such a healthy cow did not have a calf with her. I crouched softly grunting to her for it seemed like a few minutes, wishing I had my video camera with me to bring back some close ups for my 3 kids to seem later that day. Suddenly her behavior changed, her head lifted quickly, staring over me as her body stiffened. With a loud deep bark that shook my entire being she raced away from the swamp, crashing through the bush as she disappeared quickly out of sight. I slowly turned thinking a bull had followed her and was totally stunned and shocked, as 10 yds away stood a large wolf with his front legs up on a stump, he was tan in colour and huge and behind him about 25 yds back were 2 smaller ones, one obviously young and scruffy looking one that must have been last to eat in the pack heirarchy.

The feeling of his eyes seeming to stare right through me was the most eyrie feeling ive felt. Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted as the large tan wolf 10 yds in front of me curled its upper lip and snapped its jaws together quickly with enough force that I could hear the clashing of its teeth very clearly over the still air of the swamp. I held steady, mixed thoughts racing through my head, I figured if I jumped up quickly and yelled they might run but the thought of achieving the rare opportunity of arrowing a wolf made me stay still. I watched as he clashed his canines together again and realized he was trying to intimidate me and make me move, that way he could identify what I was, there was a very good chance this pack had never come across a human before. No way am I giving in now, I continued to bull grunt softly.

I could feel a chill run up my spine as the large wolf's eyes seemed to glare right through me with a ghostly stare. It's upper lip slowly curled and raised again for the 3rd time exposing a large imposing set of canines and then it snapped it's jaws together with a loud clashing of teeth. I caught a glimpse of some movement to my right. Slowly turning my head I saw a large black wolf about 12 yds away making its way from behind me towards the area of the other wolves. My anxiety level rose steeply as I came to the realization that I was alone in the middle of a pack of wolves with nothing more than my bow and arrow and they were circling me. As quickly as the black wolf appeared it disappeared in to the tall grass around the swamp but not before stopping face on to stare into my eyes for a moment as it passed by me at 11 yds now on the trail leading into the spruce swamp.

I slowly and deliberately refocused my attention on the large tan wolf. It made me very uneasy with the most eirie stare from it's large glossy eyes, then it started to turn away and head back towards the other 2 wolves. I thought great the pressures off and i might get a shot. But half way through the turn it suddenly turned sharply back towards me. I remained still and continued to grunt. Twice more it repeated this move and quickly swung back towards me trying to catch me moving but could not get me to move an inch.

Then suddenly off to my left I could see more movement, I ever so slowly turned my head in that direction and saw yet another different wolf about 35 yds out moving from in front of me towards my back. I realized that this wolf was going to give me a shot opportunity when it walked behind a small Spruce tree at about 30 yds and broadside. As its head passed behind the tree I slowly raised my bow and drew my arrow to full draw....SCREECH went the aluminum arrow across my rest and the wolf stopped dead in its tracks, I could only see its eyes staring at me from behind the branches but it obviously was nervous from the screech. After deliberating it turned around and headed back into the swamp without presenting a good shot.

I had forgot pretty much about the tan one 10 yds in front of me but I slowly turned my head back to check on the large tan wolf but it was gone. I slowly scanned the area and could not see hide nor hair of it. I noticed a few tops of tall grass on the swamp trail bend towards the ground and started to see more and more of the body of a wolf making its way towards me. Awesome, its the large tan wolf trying to make its way around me on the same game trail as the black wolf. It was walking slowly with its eyes fixed straight ahead on the trail as if it had no idea that I existed. Then it stopped, ever so slowly it turned its head toward me and stared right through me. Its ghostly, penetrating stare made me shiver and question what I was doing, this was as spooky as having a ghost right in front of me. After it turned its head slowly back and continued along the game trail exiting the swamp. As its head disappeared behind a 6 ft Spruce tree I felt my opportunity had arrived and I quickly drew my bow to full draw....SCREECH! It froze in its tracks only 11 yds from me but I could see most of its chest and I quickly released the arrow. The arrow struck with a loud thunk as the wolf spun 180 and raced back into the swamp. The sound of the arrow hitting something hard made me realize I must have hit the hind leg bone and as it raced away I though i could see my arrow and fletch trailing behind him. The eerie silence over the swamp was finally broken.

I waited for a few minutes, checking around me if other wolves were near but they all had disappeared, I marked where I had shot from and made my way over to see if I could find blood. I struggled to find blood where it had stood so I followed the trail back into the swamp and at about 30yds I found 2 spots of blood the size of a pea. I was very disappointed believing now that I did see my arrow in his hind leg, so I went back and started all over again. Stood where I had shot from my knees and finally I realized I was looking behind the wrong tree and went over on the trail and searched harder, and there I found my arrow buried in a stump. That was the bone hitting noise I had heard and the arrow I thought I saw in his hind leg was the tall wheat tipped like grass being flattened as he trampled through the swamp. The arrow was covered in blood and bubbles so I knew it was a good lung shot. I followed the trail again but could find no more blood so I stood up on a large stump. I could hear some rustling off to my right in the larger Spruce trees and was surprised to see a different wolf walking out of that area and across in front of me at 35-40 yds. I drew my bow....SCREECH. It stopped and stared at me very nervously. I released the arrow, it jumped the string and crouched to get the power and energy in its legs and body to run hard and the arrow shot just over its back and into the swamp grass. Then quickly another new wolf came out of the same area and ran across in front of me with no chance for a shot and disappeared into the swamp.

I jumped down off the stump and headed in the direction of where they had emerged as they were in there investigating something and was startled as I walked around a bush and almost stepped on my wolf, it lay 2 ft from me before I could see it. He was laying about 45 yds from where I had shot, the dominate record book male of the pack.

A day I will never forget!

I found the calf later that day that was with the cow they were chasing, I believe they had killed the calf and were running down the cow when she heard my call and came running for protection in numbers when she found me.

(Scull measurement 16 and 6\16).

Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BC Record Book Wolf with a Bow and Arrow

Badass!.........

That’s awesome well done

Nicely done! Beauty!

No way I'd be in those woods armed with only a bow. Lol

What an awesome read! Great story, thanks for sharing!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Captivating to say the least, a bow kill on a wolf while surrounded now thats composure at its best.

Congrats on a dandy wolf, thanks for sharing
    WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Awesome work Tom!

Great write up!!

Felt like I was there.....

"I could feel a chill run up my spine as the large wolf's eyes seemed to glare right through me with a ghostly stare."

Man, talk about being in the moment, good stuff.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Thanks for sharing. Awesome to get that close and a huge bonus to get one that large with a bow.