Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garlic Harvest Time!

Thumbs up Garlic Harvest Time!

Well, the latest heat wave certainly improved the outlook for our wee ones - garlic plants grown from Bulbils:

Wish I had taken a picture of the main garlic bed when it was at it's height. Made it to around 5 feet this year!
    Here is one when they were only about 4 feet:

The recent heat, lack of water (intentional) after removing most of the scapes managed to shrink the plants down by over two feet as they readied for harvest:

You can easily see that the lower 2/3 or more of almost every plant had browned up:

So... Harvest Time!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: Garlic Harvest Time!

I was very pleased to learn that my experiment regarding growing full sized garlic from Bulbils was a roaring success!! In fact, there was but little difference in size between most of them, and those grown from original full sized stock! Means that down the road we will be chowing down on pretty much all of the Big Boyz, and utilizing the rotating Bulbil stock as broodstock!

Cleaned them up, trimmed off the brown while leaving the green to contribute even more goodness to the bulbs as they finish:

Got a Gretzky this year - 99 harvested!
    Now they hang for a week or so in a cool, shaded spot with good air circulation.
    Simply had to try one. Too early I know, but already very oily and super spicy!
    Going to be a great batch this year methinks!!

Gotta admit though, after having the screen of green between our lower sitting area and the yard most of the year, she now looks to be a tad barren...

Time for a second seasonal crop to take it's place until fall. Now debating with The Missuz just what that should be (as I will be away for a few weeks or so after the beginning of next month)...

So, how is your garden shaping up this year??

Wondering...
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Garlic Harvest Time!

what variety of garlic is that in front of your truck behind the garlic laying down?
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Arrow Re: Garlic Harvest Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    what variety of garlic is that in front of your truck behind the garlic laying down?
    Legal Devil's Lettuce.
    Don't know the strain, and don't really care.
    Buddy dropped off those two on spec I would grow them.
    I will of course, then call him once they either get too big to handle, or bud out.
    Not so much my cup of tea, but he knows between me & my Lady we can green thumb damn near anything!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

when did you plant those Matt?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Arrow Re: Garlic Harvest Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    when did you plant those Matt?
    Last October.
    The few you see left are either for Bulbil production (4) or were volunteers from this spring. Seed stock all.
    They always do their best when fall planted.
    Average is 3.5" diameter this year, and I am well pleased with that!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Very nice Nog !!! I’ll be pulling my garlic soon too, but have been eating potatoes for a while now, zucchini, cuc’s are com’n, tomatoes, carrots, corn, jalapeņos, green peppers too. Raspberries were/are nuts this year, tame blackberries and 4 kinds of apples. Everything will be a bumper this year if it stays hot. I don’t have any of those dark green garlic, but they look healthy
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I'm giving the garlic a go this fall.
    Did you seaweed the bed last fall?
    Tried my hand at gardening this year more aimed at the canning end of things.
    Bumper crop of beets, beans, tomatoes and cukes.
    Jalapenos were started a little late and are just flowering now.
    Love me some Jalapeno poppers!

My wife makes pesto with the scapes. Yum

I grow three varieties of garlic. White, Russian Red and a soft neck that was brought to Canada when my wife's uncle immigrated from the Ukraine in 1937.
    The soft neck runs a short growing season, three to four months so it is more suitable to spring planting. It is very strong. It wards off mosquitoes, black flies, horse flies, wasps and Englishmen.
    Last year I had a planting of the white and Russian in the neighborhood of 750 to 800 plants. I discarded most except a few of the ones that didn't seem to have been as much by a nematode infestation. The soft neck did not catch the nematode outbreak.
    I did plant a few of last years crop but I gave them a vinegar soaking prior to planting. I want to see if there is still a pest presence.
    The soft neck are planted in another part of the garden.
    Funny, the wife and I were just talking yesterday about building boxes specifically for garlic. Bringing in fresh soil. What I need to obtain is some dryer felt for the bottom.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"