Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Rain Gear, Sitka versus Kuiu---GO

Best Rain Gear, Sitka versus Kuiu---GO

I would like to hear opinions on which rain gear is better,,,Ive narrowed it down to these two, now Im stumped,,please only experienced opinions,,thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Rain Gear, Sitka versus Kuiu---GO

Both are good. Sitka seems to dry out faster than my kuiu Yukon gear but kuiu Yukon is pretty bomb proof and I’ve never been wet in it. I don’t think you can really go wrong with either

I've had lots of good rain gear, arcteryx leaf was the best, better then anything, by a mile. Wore my kuiu once, went up for sale. Arcteryx 5 years old, blew a pocket zipper, sent it in for warranty, they sent me a new leaf gen 2 jacket.
    Leaf is lighter, breathes better, no stitched seams, crazy exspensive, gortex, will fade in quality over the years, like everything. The only gear I felt comfortable way back alone in the slush and rain

I just bought a set of Helly Hansen stretchy thin rubber stuff ... It's really light weight and packable. If doesn't breathe but I don't plan on hiking hard in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lwing View Post
    I've had lots of good rain gear, arcteryx leaf was the best, better then anything, by a mile. Wore my kuiu once, went up for sale. Arcteryx 5 years old, blew a pocket zipper, sent it in for warranty, they sent me a new leaf gen 2 jacket.
    Leaf is lighter, breathes better, no stitched seams, crazy exspensive, gortex, will fade in quality over the years, like everything. The only gear I felt comfortable way back alone in the slush and rain
    is it not police and military gear only ? Or can you buy it as a consumer in Canada ?

Dozen in one, 12 in The other. I have many moons with sitka and have seen no reason to change.

On that note, I just bought my kiddo a marmot gortex rain jacket, it feels identical to my sitka rain gear, and it wasn’t much more then $100.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    is it not police and military gear only ? Or can you buy it as a consumer in Canada ?

https://leaf.arcteryx.com/ca/en/c/we...her-protection
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I have Sitka Stormfront pants, very durable. Not very packable. I wear them when its going to be a wet, shitty day

They used to make the Dew Point line which was the packable stuff. I have the pants and jacket, easy to carry with you. I usually only carry the jacket in my pack for day hunts.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

dont forget there are 2 or more levels of rain gear from each.

sitka stormfront is the thicker more durable line. ment for like chasing moose thru alders in the rain up north for a week
    cloudburst are the ones for climbing mountains in the rain, but also packable line. packs up alot smaller than the stormfront.
    theres also the thunderhead and downpour which are alot quieter with a brushed face, but wet out and dont dry as well. maybe more of a day hunt still hunt rain jacket

for what its worth, i spent 5 straight days and nights in the rain in the alpine/sub alpine last september chasing mule deer in a cloudburst set and didn't have any moisture ingress. wearing a pack for most of the time too. couldn't have been happier with it.
    Last edited by g2mike; 07-22-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    I just bought a set of Helly Hansen stretchy thin rubber stuff ... It's really light weight and packable. If doesn't breathe but I don't plan on hiking hard in it.
    I have a set of those pants. I loved them last year. This spring they started to leak...badly. Took my little guy to the beach in a storm and the inside of my legs got SOAKED. I could feel the water trickling in. I'm going to be on the hunt for good rain gear again this year.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.