Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inreach Mini vs Gpsmap 66i

Inreach Mini vs Gpsmap 66i

InReach Mini vs InReach GPSMAP 66i

Does anyone have any experience with both of these units?
    I'm trying to decide between the two.

This will be my first GPS comm. unit and I'm not sure I need the maps (since I use my phone) or if they maps is even worth it.

Anyone that has experience with both units, I would appreciate the feedback.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Inreach Mini vs Gpsmap 66i

I very temporarily had a mini, and before ever using it in the field I upgraded to the 66I which is the creme of the crop as far as a GPS or Inreach unit go.

I found the tethering between the mini and phone unreliable and that in itself made it a no go for me, though plenty of others have had great success with their mini

If ur using your phone maybe try this https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/Iridium/zoleo.html

The mini is great, I use it lots. The Earthmate app and topo map are good. You’re going to have your phone anyway so save a little weight and clip the mini to your pack or bino harness. I’ve always had good service and the two way messaging is quick and easy. Battery lasts forever and it’s quick to turn on. Weather reports are usually fairly accurate. I’ve never taken it out of the country but it works from the Yukon border to Langara island and in -30 in Saskatchewan. Sure is nice to have the SOS button. If your phone dies you can still use the unit for most things accept the map but the compass works. In my opinion it’s one of the best options available.....I don’t have a 66I though so maybe the mini is a joke, hope that helps

garmin gps 66i is unit i go with. get the backroads map chip and its a full functioning gps unit, good detailed maps and with 2 way communication from gps unit to cell or gps unit to gps unit and has the SOS feature

I have the explorer model and am thinking of upgrading to the new one that I can put my backroads map book card in. I use my phone and hunt buddy for maps but I think the BRMB is the best for backcountry use. The garmin maps are fine but not the best option.

Either way though, being able to say you are ok, hit the SOS button if you need it or text your boss and ask for more time off is great!

Mini user here. I like it. Small light and works great with the phone however I would have gone with the 66i had it came out before I purchased the mini. I just like the idea of a single device for SOS, Coms and GPS

Awesome, thanks everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate the insights on adding BRMB to the 66i. Although I don't want to add extra weight, I think the 66i might be the winner for me. I also use Hunt Buddy and iHunter, but I think having map redundancy by going with the 66i is probably a good thing.
    Thanks again, much appreciated.

The base map/topo mapping on the Map 66i is well above and beyond the quality of mapping available for the Explorer+. I upgraded as well and wouldn’t look back on either the Explorer or Mini series. Add the BRM chip and it is a self contained unit vs. relying on a phone BT link. I would say the Garmin Explore app and 66 series topo is more accurate and useable as far as features and accuracy goes but there is a bit of an extra cost to it.

I just looked at these options as well. I ended up with a 66i. I didnt want two devices in the bush and needing charging.

I havent tested it but the 66i can handle custom maps so i can add active cutblocks from the government onto the maps.