Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to preserve game meat in the field?

How to preserve game meat in the field?

Hi everyone, I was wondering how to preserve game meat in the field? Specially moose, I'm planning a trip when season opens for about 7 days and lets say I get lucky and get one the first or second day. How do I keep it from spoiled in the field?

My guest is to leave it hanging in the game bags of a tree until a crust forms outside the meat, but my friend is really really worry about this. How do you do it if you get an animal the first day of a hunt of a long trip?

Thank you!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to preserve game meat in the field?

where are you planning on hunting? if your nearby a town and its super warm out you might be able to find someone or a butcher with a meat locker. if its cooler out you can definitely just hang them by quarters with the game bags off out of the sun for a few days

A crust is not going to keep bacteria from growing in your meat, nor are things like black pepper. The key is to keep it cool, under 40 degrees. If the weather is warm you’re going to want to cool it down as quick as possible. Bring coolers with ice.

We were up in Region 6-08 and my buddy shot a moose around 10:00 am one warm October morning. We got it to camp, hung up and skinned it out as fast as possible but by the time we got to the neck, the neck meat had gone sour.

The rest was okay so after cooling it overnight we ripped into Smithers and took it to a butcher. Didn't want to lose any more meat.

Other times it's been cool enough at night and in the shade that we'v e had moose hanging for five days or more.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    We were up in Region 6-08 and my buddy shot a moose around 10:00 am one warm October morning. We got it to camp, hung up and skinned it out as fast as possible but by the time we got to the neck, the neck meat had gone sour...
    How long after killing it had your meat gone sour?

I've killed and been on kills on some pretty scorching days (May/June/July/August) and have always gutted right away... but haven't always been able to skin it right away (but always later that day or early next day) and haven't had a problem.

[QUOTE=warnniklz;2187707]How long after killing it had your meat gone sour?

I've killed and been on kills on some pretty scorching days (May/June/July/August) and have always gutted right away... but haven't always been able to skin it right away (but always later that day or early next day) and haven't had a problem.[/QUOTE
    Bone sour typically occurs in 4-6 hours in warmer temps.

Bone out, plastic bag and find a creek to submerge your meat - should give you an extra couple of days.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Bone sour starts from the inside and the neck/shoulder area usually goes sour first as it's the thickest. You have to quarter or debone asap in warm weather to release the heat. Gutting and skinning alone won't save you.

If it gets reasonably cool at night you should be good. Gutless method has many advantages including no hair to insulate the meat. Two people can have an average moose processed in four hours or so. That means the meat is now cooling better than for big quarters with hair on them.