Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to preserve game meat in the field?

Re: How to preserve game meat in the field?

We killed a big bull elk on a sheep trip up North a few years back on August 27th. Got him gutless quartered and packed back to camp and hung up in game bags over night after opening the quarters to the bone along the muscle groups. Let him hang for a day, and checked on him and noticed that on a couple of the game bags flies were laying eggs through the mesh where it was stretched too tight. Pulled them down, deboned since he had been hanging long enough to let rigor relax, and we were light on pack horse power anyway and then put the meat in giant ziplocks, rolled them up after squeezing out the air and rolled them up in a tarp and sunk it all in the creek.

That meat was still cold after an 8 hour ride out in pack boxes against the side of a warm horse.

Op said he lost the neck meat .Must remove the wind pipe asap that will sour meat faster than heat .
    I passed up a full curl rockie ram day one of an elk trip,I know I know .Long story short got skunked and jinxed but I didn't want to go home ,it was hot and I wanted an elk in the worst way.Next year I built a reefer trailer.That thing was the ticket.

Anyone interested in building their own cooler at home or in hunting camp check out the coolbot at storeitcold.com. I built a pop up cooler with it for camp. Works great

This is the best advise - talk to your butcher and he can give you some pointers. Guarantee he has seen good meat come in and some real garbage from the same time of year. If you butcher your own or plan on it - take the time to learn how to do it right.
    The thickest part on a moose is the hump/shoulder/neck area and i have been told by my butcher years ago to open this up right away by splitting the hide along the back and skin it back a bit. The hide/hair is so thick in this are on a moose that it can sour the quickest - especially if you shoot, gut then go get help or pack materials - split the neck back area to get that cooling.
    If you do the gutless method you're helping to cool those areas already, and with a moose its good to learn how to do gutless to make the quarters much easier to handle.
    Respect your animal, keep it clean and the best possible condition all the way to your dining table.
    If in doubt if its too warm, have a plan to get the animal you have out safely to a butcher without risking spoilage. Heard of lots of 15-18hr marathon drives through the night to get meat home in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’ve heard of bone sour, but never seen it. The butcher at Hunnifords gave me some pointers on opening up the neck and cutting in above the back knee to cool it down quick. He said it really only matters on bigger animals.
    Last edited by tyreguy; 07-21-2020 at 09:16 AM.