Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to preserve game meat in the field?

Re: How to preserve game meat in the field?

I’ve heard of bone sour, but never seen it. The butcher at Hunnifords gave me some pointers on opening up the neck and cutting in above the back knee to cool it down quick. He said it really only matters on bigger animals.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Debone the meat put in game bags inside Plastic bags and sink in creek during the day. at night take out of plastic bags and hang game bags up a tree. Do not leave in plastic bags meat needs to breath. You would need to do this every day and evening till your hunt is over. No problem meat making it for length of your trip.
    Good luck hunting

A lot of this advice sounds like it’s coming from guys who have never shot a moose or elk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    A lot of this advice sounds like it’s coming from guys who have never shot a moose or elk.
    Well feel free to let us know your thoughts on this.

Cargo trailer, honda EU2000 generator, and Deep Freezer...meat in game bags and keep alternating bags in freezer

Not much use hunting moose if your meat is going to taste like crap...keep it clean and get it in game bags within a couple of hours...good luck on your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Cargo trailer, honda EU2000 generator, and Deep Freezer...meat in game bags and keep alternating bags in freezer

Not much use hunting moose if your meat is going to taste like crap...keep it clean and get it in game bags within a couple of hours...good luck on your hunt.
    This has worked well for me on a couple Aug bulls. I definitely wouldn't plan on simply hanging meat in the shade until Oct here in the north. And even then I've had trouble with heat. Get that hair off asap if it's hot.

I always bring a cotton bed sheet or two for butchering and deboning in the field. Super nice to have a big clean area to lay meat out not have grass and dirt get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post

This is the right way to do it. Spend the extra and do it right.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    i would also like to know the right way? i mean im 4/4 on 6 point elk that have been shot in september and been hung for 3+ while still hunting and never had any meat spoil. hell im also 3/3 on mountain goats and have deboned and stashed them in a creek and continued to hunt for close to a week.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    This is the right way to do it. Spend the extra and do it right.
    i mean thats a great idea but my guess is OP is just starting out hunting and probably doesn't have funds to swing that.
    But common how you planning on throwing a honda generator and a freezer on say a float plane for a moose hunt.........

My experience is with elk sept bow season where temps are often mid 20's. Like most have said, get the hide off and quartered into game bags and ideally quarters hung off the ground or at least stood up in the shade as quick as you can so the quarter can start dissipating heat from as many surfaces as possible.

I prefer to leave the quarters whole and if I have to bone out, its done after all the quarters are off and have began the cooling process. I only bone out to reduce the weight being packed or to fit more meat on the cooler. Boning out large chunks of warm meat and consolidating it into a game bag makes a hell of a thick mass of meat and youd be amazed at how warm the center of that mass of meat can stay.

I've used the freezer/generator rig on warm weather elk, deer, and bear. Also tried large marine coolers full of ice blocks on early season hunts. Both have worked. With the freezer, I remove the lid and tent the top with a light sleeping bag, put a small 120v fan in the bottom blowing up. With coolers, until the meat is fully chilled, leave the lid cracked tent with a sleeping bag to let humidity escape.

Keep it out of the sun, bugs off it and away from scavangers.

In cooler mid late fall temps, your only real concern is predators and scavengers. We lost a mule deer that was dressed bagged, and hung high on an early Nov hunt to marten. Pricks got into the game bag, fed on as much as the could the defecated on the rest. Known several folks who have lost game to bears. Hang it high!!!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-18-2020 at 09:56 AM.