Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended ratchet straps for SxS.

Re: Recommended ratchet straps for SxS.

Ratchet straps shouldn't back off. The issue is how the SxS is tied down and bouncing around on the trailer. Going down a gravel road the machine will bounce all over the place. Ideally you can secure the tires and let the SxS suspension move. The second choice is on the suspension by the tire where there isn't much movement. The third choice is on the frame but you really need to compress the suspension so the SxS can't move.

For something like a SxS a 1.5" or 2" strap should be used.

You should also google "vehicle tie down instructions" for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Also strap your side by side down through the rims or at the lowest point possible through the frame. I have a feeling it's not the straps backing off, but movement in your suspension of your machine.
    You are correct

You can crush the suspension so there is no action
    or just strap down by the tire, snow chains make great 'webs' for this
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I use the Erickson straps from Costco all the time. My quad gets cross strapped at the rear axle and low in the front. The only disappointment is that they are no longer available in 30’ lengths, which means I need a butt chain when hauling hay. Never had one fail. Use some mechanics tie wire or a zip tie to tidy the excess.

Like robert said Shockstraps are a real revelation in tying down atv/utvs. We haul side by sides at work year around and this is the system we have switched to. Those erikson wheel tie downs look great but I cant use them as we are always using different trailer/utv combos.

Some very good points made which are much appreciated. I have heard of a couple of the high end straps and they are intriguing and pricey at the same time. Position is something I will ensure to take note of. I felt like I had that part good but will double check next time I strap up as I am confident there are some more knowledgable people on here than myself and have given good advice. Thanks.

Always make sure you have a full wrap around the drum of the ratchet if they're actually backing off.
    I've used Erickson heavy duty straps to tie trucks down (always by the axles!) And never had any issues.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

When it comes to securing a $15.000 + sxs, Pricey should not be in the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    When it comes to securing a $15.000 + sxs, Pricey should not be in the equation.
    Agreed! Sometimes it is just needed to be pointed out.

E track is the best way to tie it down in my opinion anyway
    i mounted the track to my trailer and use ericson tire bonnets to hold it down tight. It holds the wheels down but leaves the suspension to flex and bounce when needed. I got sick of breaking straps and checking them every 20 mins on long road trips to make sure they didn’t loosen off