Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Calling Elk

Re: Night Calling Elk

I never night call morning or after dark to see where elk are located its educating them when they hear the door shut if your in your truck or other the unit start up educating is present,,even if your camped in the back country and no truck or other you call a bull in and finds out you're not what he thinks you are they notice that that call is not coming from a real bull elk comes in to see that your a human they remember ,, many of times I have had bulls coming in just after I loose shooting light I stop calling and get the hell out of there before the bull comes to where I was set up,,al and all this is what I have found out over my 50 years of hunting these fantastic animals..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 07-20-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    i never night call morning or after dark to see where elk are located its educating them when they hear the door shut if your in your truck or other the unit start up educating is present,,even if your camped in the back country and no truck or other you call a bull in and finds out you're not what he thinks you are they notice that that call is not coming from a real bull elk comes in to see that your a human they remember ,, many of times i have had bulls coming in just after i loose shooting light i stop calling and get the hell out of there before the bull comes to where i was set up,,al and all this is what i have found out over my 50 years of hunting these fantastic animals..
    ^^^^x2^^^^^
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I never night call morning or after dark to see where elk are located its educating them when they hear the door shut if your in your truck or other the unit start up educating is present,,even if your camped in the back country and no truck or other you call a bull in and finds out you're not what he thinks you are they notice that that call is not coming from a real bull elk comes in to see that your a human they remember ,, many of times I have had bulls coming in just after I loose shooting light I stop calling and get the hell out of there before the bull comes to where I was set up,,al and all this is what I have found out over my 50 years of hunting these fantastic animals..
    thanks Wayne and I agree, if I have a bull answering in the evening and I think I won't have enough time to make a go at him, I back out quiet and come back in the morning. Done this several times and found them in the morning where I left them. The only time I would push this is if it were my last evening to hunt, then I'd do whatever it took to get that bull to come in while I had light left and I'd probably get down right aggressive trying to close the distance. Nothing to loose at that point.

I'm not concerned about "educating elk". If I get busted trying something different when nothing else is working, so be it. Every elk hunter that goes into the bush trying to call in, stalk, or ambush a bull and gets busted for one reason or another is "educating" that bull. To not try something different because you think you may educate a bull could be a mistake into itself.

Agree with you that calling at anytime and associating the call with a human presence like a vehicle running, door closing, bad wind etc. is just not the best approach.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-20-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Another thing to remember is that not all grizzly bears go to bed at 8pm . They also have very good hearing , be very careful .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Another thing to remember is that not all grizzly bears go to bed at 8pm . They also have very good hearing , be very careful .
    roger that! I always expect to see a predator when I'm calling.

about 4 years ago we saw a bunch of blond bodies in the bottom of a slide. We tried to sneak in on them but they gave us the slip. We took cover and let out a couple quite cow chirps. My buddy see's a big brown mass about 900m up just above the tree line. Was a BIGGGGG. We figured we are done with the elk, but wanted to see what the Grizz would do if we kept calling. We let out a whiny estrous elk call followed by a single bugle. He dropped and ran down the rocks into the top of the slide. He covered about 300m in an amazingly quick time. We chirped gain, he stood up and looked right down at us. That was it, we F'd off at that point.

A couple years before that had a big cougar sneak right in on my decoy as I was solo bowhunting elk calling into a thick pocket. He came in from my left side, crossed about 10 yards in front and stalked in on my decoy about 30 yards to my right.

Can't recall all the black bears I have called in over the years.

All these encounters really make a guy wonder how many bears/cats were close that I never even knew were there.

Whenever I am calling elk, I expect a predator might show up.

I called in a sow and cub grizz while cow calling elk one evening.
    A buddy had a cougar come right in while he was rattling for whitetails.
    Stay safe all...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    roger that! I always expect to see a predator when I'm calling.

about 4 years ago we saw a bunch of blond bodies in the bottom of a slide. We tried to sneak in on them but they gave us the slip. We took cover and let out a couple quite cow chirps. My buddy see's a big brown mass about 900m up just above the tree line. Was a BIGGGGG. We figured we are done with the elk, but wanted to see what the Grizz would do if we kept calling. We let out a whiny estrous elk call followed by a single bugle. He dropped and ran down the rocks into the top of the slide. He covered about 300m in an amazingly quick time. We chirped gain, he stood up and looked right down at us. That was it, we F'd off at that point.

A couple years before that had a big cougar sneak right in on my decoy as I was solo bowhunting elk calling into a thick pocket. He came in from my left side, crossed about 10 yards in front and stalked in on my decoy about 30 yards to my right.

Can't recall all the black bears I have called in over the years.

All these encounters really make a guy wonder how many bears/cats were close that I never even knew were there.

Whenever I am calling elk, I expect a predator might show up.
    And don't forget other hunters we have called in many hunters, I find it more scarey when you hear a twig snap and see a hunter sneaking in with gun in hand finger by the trigger
    we have snuck out many times with out then knowing.

I was calling before first light one time. I don't know who was more surprised, me or the two wolves that showed up. They left mush faster than they arrived, I think.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

last year called in two wolves and a small grizzly within 15 minutes of each other (one wolf died) right at first light. Had a few bull moose respond to my elk calls, raking trees and grunting and even so far as to follow me back towards camp for 10 minutes or so walking in the dark.

This is another reason I won't call elk in the dark to many grizzly bears I have called my share of grizzly bears over my years when its daylight no fun,,two years ago just before it got dark I called in a pack of wolves when calling for elk I shot one and put a wound on another when the pack was running away from me ..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..