Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inflatables for fishing and hunting

Inflatables for fishing and hunting

Does anyone have any experience or recommendation on sub-$2000 inflatables. I am an apartment dweller and my only vehicle is a hatchback. I would love this season to poke around the coastal waters in a portable boat. While I haven't gotten into fishing yet I am a big duck / goose hunter who normally frequents the public salt marsh in Robert's Bank. My eyes were open to the possibilities around the South Arm Marshes when a friend took me out in his boat end of last season.

I've been eyeing inflatable kayaks or equivalent, especially ones that you can safely stand up in so I would value stability and storage over speed. Having the ability to take two people would be a plus but more so because of storage space for gear. Obviously, I would want one that is hardy since who knows what you may bump into in the marsh or have to drag your boat up onto if you get to a nice place. While shooting out of it would be nice, I would also just use it to get to places I never would have accessed on foot. Bonus also if I could eventually add a small motor. Any recommendations?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Inflatables for fishing and hunting

You just missed the sale on Intex Mariner 4: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/26610...table-boat-kit
    Quite popular unit for modding.

Define coastal waters?
    If you mean on the ocean, nothing other than hard bottom zodiacs would be good.

If you mean floating down rivers and fishing small lakes. Sea Eagles are good, I had a sea eagle 9. Even these chinese intex boats are fine.
    I use a 40lb trolling motor.
    But you don't want to go on big water in anything that's not hard bottom and at least 16-18 feet long.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Look at the costco inflatables I have had good luck with the one i had put a 10 hp 4 stroke on it on off to enjoy the water had it for 5 years didnt leak 2 people safer than a 12 ft tin in my opinion just a pain in the ass to inflate set up and deflate and put away thats why I sold it

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Define coastal waters? If you mean on the ocean, nothing other than hard bottom zodiacs would be good.
    By coastal I mean bays, estuaries and sticking close to the edge of the marsh. I wouldn't go out to big water but I would expect a boat to be able to deal with some choppy water.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    If you mean floating down rivers and fishing small lakes. Sea Eagles are good, I had a sea eagle 9. Even these chinese intex boats are fine.
    I use a 40lb trolling motor.
    But you don't want to go on big water in anything that's not hard bottom and at least 16-18 feet long.
    I have been looking at the Sea Eagles, especially they have a couple models that are targeting fishers. That model you quoted looks interesting. I was looking at this 350x kayak or putting more money in and looking at their FSK16 skiff.

I believe both of them feature drop stitch floors.

Also keep in mind that all these boats that "fold" in bags are not going to last a very long time.
    My sea eagle lasted about 10 years before it sprung a leak at a seam that wasn't repairable.
    It was really due to folding it and bouncing it around.

Sea eagle is pretty heavy duty material but I would go with a runabout like 12SR or 14SR if I did it again.
    And deflate it without folding it too much. Figure out a way to store them spread out.
    1. Human over population

I am not a big fan of kayaks for fishing. You always want some gear with you, dog, beer, whatever.
    Kayaks are just a pain.
    That skiff would be my choice over kayaks.
    1. Human over population

Hey Keith, check out Aquamarine Boats in Richmond.

http://www.aquamarineboat.com/

I had a 10Ft inflatable from Aquamarine with the aluminum floor deck with my Mercury 6HP. The price is in your range, the boats are very stable and a local dealer with a warehouse in Richmond.

Thanks checking it out...

Saturn Inflatable Boats are a pretty good value and reasonably priced. I have a kayak of theirs and it's been great. The quality of the material and build is very good. All their boats come with decent quality air pumps, a repair kit that includes a spare valve, and most come with paddles (although they are not great and you will likely want something better) The seams are glued...not welded but a rafting guide buddy of mine says that's ok as long as I keep out of big rapids...which I do anyhow.

As mentioned above...any inflatable that is folded up to store will crack at the fold over time. Liberal use of 303 protectant in these areas (and on the whole boat for that matter) will help extend the life of the material.