Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Netting the Vedder

Re: Netting the Vedder

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    1. Thank you for showing your actual knowledge of our fisheries within the LM. Thinking that we will not see a net fishery this fall is comical. Excess hatchery fish should be taken once brood requirements are met. Let FN have all the excess hatchery fish once they reach the hatchery. Netting the lower river will wipe out any wild component in a few cycles unless we have high water and they can’t net.

As per fish fish getting recycled to the lower river, almost every hatchery system within the US does this practice. I guess our LM First Nation put so much time effort/$ that’s why they are able to take everything from the hatchery

As someone who has been involved with the broodstock program on the Vedder I am very familiar with the hatchery and it’s operation. I can garuntee I have spent more time within this last 6 Months with hatcheries than you have in your lifetime. Trying to lecture me on hatchery protocol is great, please continue with it.

As per relating other fisheries with the “operation” at the Harrison mouth you are grasping at straws trying to stay relevant.
    The Harrison fishery has and always been about foreign roe sales.

Dont know why you are comparing other FN fisheries to this? Guessing again you are speaking on stuff you aren’t familiar with.

There has never been a roe fishery on the Vedder.....but there has also never been netting in the fall until this year.

I have a tingling sensation that you actually don't understand what I'm saying and are consistently misinterpreting my comments.
    But I do thank you for answering my original question that there are no roe fisheries on the Vedder.
    You are just anticipating "evil" as a precautionary measure, I suppose.
    Some may call that baseless BS. But it's ok.

Of course you have spent more time with hatcheries over the past 6 months.
    I haven't left the house pretty much with all this quarantine bs. Other than a bit of fishing and a bit of hunting.
    But otherwise you don't know jack about how much time I spent on the Vedder and other rivers and in what capacity.

So I suppose because there is a chum roe fishery on the Harrison that means there will be a chinook roe fishery on the Vedder.
    Ok, you go with that.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Time for DFO to enact fair regulations for all Canadians to protect our natural resources.
    No special interest groups should have sole access to any resource.
    Been actively engaged fishing on the Fraser and its tributaries since a teenager,I’m 64 now.
    Watching the decline and lack of caring and/or regulation for all groups of Canadians is sickening.
    When the vast majority of Canadians would be happy to see DFO enact and enforce salmon regulations that will bring our
    salmon stocks(Our,as in all Canadians) back from the brink of extinction,it boggles the mind of us average intelligence unwashed public why this has got to this stage.
    If it takes no salmon fishing for a few seasons and very strict fishing regs after that for everyone, then so be it.
    If it takes housecleaning of the people at the top that are making decisions, then have at it.
    Our fishing industry both commercial and recreational has become a joke on the world stage how we have let the best place in the world to fish slide into nothingness!!
    Makes one want to throw up...

The fight is not with FN, with each other or with any one particular group. The fight needs to be directed towards the Government that we elected into place which has allowed the decimation of all resources and which continues to accelerate their disposal of these resources so that they don't need to waste time, effort and money to manage this mess.

The only fight we have left is to get this Government out of office and elect a party that has a backbone, engages in squashing domestic terrorism and the squandering of resources. A party that has morals and ethics and understands that we have to put a stop to the depletion of resources. Management of fish and wildlife is not allowing uncontrollable harvesting until extinction. Management is not giving away resource management rights to groups with a direct conflict of interest and no regards to conservation.

Our fight has to be focused directly at the current government which is totally out of control. Sadly, as the world has been changing, our Leader didn't have a scripted procedure to follow and tried to ad lib and went down a path that he had no experience or rational mind to do so. So while he knew he was going to make mistakes, he at least made the types of mistakes that only benefited him in some capacity. Regardless, we're paying for this mess in more ways than one and the only way to stop this drama teacher led Medusa is to sever the head.

Again, the fight is not against the FN, they are only doing what they are allowed or authorized to do. We have to change the government because only a new Government will be able to change the culture and policies all the way down the ranks.
    Last edited by Rieber; 08-23-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Two great posts above. You guys completely get it, while others are completely clueless. Easy to see who is involved and has a history with our fisheries and who doesn’t.

Abbyfireguy remember when we used to get May 1openings on the Fraser for springs and seeing a drift or gillnet was not an every hour occurance!

The fight is now between First Nations. As I suspected earlier the Bands up north are now demanding a complete closure of fishing in the lower fraser as no fish are making it up to spawn. So now you have to groups, of equal standing, wanting opposite thins. This will get ugly and the smaller rivers such as the Vedder and Chehalis will be destroyed next
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    The fight is now between First Nations. As I suspected earlier the Bands up north are now demanding a complete closure of fishing in the lower fraser as no fish are making it up to spawn. So now you have to groups, of equal standing, wanting opposite thins. This will get ugly and the smaller rivers such as the Vedder and Chehalis will be destroyed next
    Good, maybe they will kill each other like they used too.
    Thats why we have a country who's foundation is based on the "rule of law" hopefully the rule of law will look the other way when they go at it in the same way they looked the other way while our country was crippled with rail blockades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    Interesting, I got a text from a friend in Dawson Creek this morning saying the FN’s are selling Fraser River springs up there for $2.00/lb. F***ing sickening!!!! K

Situation normal then! What a crock. Glad I took lots of pictures of watch a salmon looks like.
    pretty soon that’s all we will have left.
    Sad sad day for Canada.
    There appears no will to save the species.
    Time to world organizations on our side to save the salmon.
    Justin understands nothing. He’s too busy making up excuses for his ethic or lack of them!

True facts here....