Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Netting the Vedder

Re: Netting the Vedder

Stormy,

This net fishery was just a foot in the door to start a commercial roe fishery in the fall. If you think that any of the local Fraser valley FN want to work with us you are either misinformed or lacking knowledge of these bands.

The question you should be asking is why can’t the other bands share the hatchery surplus from the hatchery itself. There is ZERO need to net the Vedder or any other hatchery system. All surplus can be taken within the hatchery. However with some of the fish being darker up there it kills the resale value of these fish, which is what it is truly about.

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    Stormy,

This net fishery was just a foot in the door to start a commercial roe fishery in the fall. If you think that any of the local Fraser valley FN want to work with us you are either misinformed or lacking knowledge of these bands.

The question you should be asking is why can’t the other bands share the hatchery surplus from the hatchery itself. There is ZERO need to net the Vedder or any other hatchery system. All surplus can be taken within the hatchery. However with some of the fish being darker up there it kills the resale value of these fish, which is what it is truly about.

tubby, how many roe fisheries on the Vedder have you seen?
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    The Vedder fishery (nets) is over - it was a limited pilot fishery - almost zero fish where actually taken by the fishery - maybe 1 - lol!

The nets will be back on the Fraser, Harrison and Sumas rivers sometime in the near future - instead of sitting behind the comfort of your keyboards why not try and do something different for a change - try a bit of dialogue with the First Nations in your local area - you might be surprised to find out that they are just as sick of all the BS as you are - the biggest fear the Government has is that the sport fisherman and the FN stand together and demand the end of the commercial fish farms and endless plunder of the resource.

you don’t have to be very bright to figure out that with cooperation our fishing could be as good if not better than they have it a few hundred Km’s to the South in Washington and Oregon - the real differences is that the Yanks have got their shit together with a real hatchery program - wild fish (salmon and steelhead) are cherished and protected - just ask the fisherman on the North End of Vancouver Island how many “America bound” fish they catch every year - lol ��
    Also and even more importantly the US doesn't let the Indians do whatever they want.

FN dont want cooperation they want capitulation.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Adriaticum, Do you know what the FN do with the fall salmon they are allowed to take from the Vedder hatchery? It all gets sold as roe or as dog food. The separate band who is netting the lower Vedder would be able to do this exact same thing. As for roe fisheries on the Vedder I was referencing what happens on the Harrison in the fall. A straight roe fishery by the FN.

Surely with your vast knowledge of our fisheries you have seen this operation at the Harrison mouth?

Reports are lots of sockeye in the vedder now, I can almost taste the sockeye sashimi... too bad I don't get the enjoyment of catching them myself...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Adriaticum, Do you know what the FN do with the fall salmon they are allowed to take from the Vedder hatchery? It all gets sold as roe or as dog food. The separate band who is netting the lower Vedder would be able to do this exact same thing. As for roe fisheries on the Vedder I was referencing what happens on the Harrison in the fall. A straight roe fishery by the FN.

Surely with your vast knowledge of our fisheries you have seen this operation at the Harrison mouth?

My vast knowledge and far superior common sense is setting off my BS sensor when someone equates collecting surplus from the hatchery with netting the lower vedder.
    And that somehow one will lead to the other.

Do you know what happens to the fish that arrive at the hatchery and whose eggs are not required?
    Do you think they scoop them up and take them down to the lower river so you can catch them again?

I understand when someone protests FN bullshit we have to deal with, but not all FN bullshit is bullshit.

So if there is a "straight roe" fishery on Harrison and on the Fraser, does that mean every FN fishery is a "straight roe" fishery?
    I'm really tingling at this point.

You still haven't answered my question about how many "straight roe" fisheries you have seen on the vedder?
    (Not that I'm in any way supporting roe fisheries)
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

1. Thank you for showing your actual knowledge of our fisheries within the LM. Thinking that we will not see a net fishery this fall is comical. Excess hatchery fish should be taken once brood requirements are met. Let FN have all the excess hatchery fish once they reach the hatchery. Netting the lower river will wipe out any wild component in a few cycles unless we have high water and they can’t net.

As per fish fish getting recycled to the lower river, almost every hatchery system within the US does this practice. I guess our LM First Nation put so much time effort/$ that’s why they are able to take everything from the hatchery

As someone who has been involved with the broodstock program on the Vedder I am very familiar with the hatchery and it’s operation. I can garuntee I have spent more time within this last 6 Months with hatcheries than you have in your lifetime. Trying to lecture me on hatchery protocol is great, please continue with it.

As per relating other fisheries with the “operation” at the Harrison mouth you are grasping at straws trying to stay relevant.
    The Harrison fishery has and always been about foreign roe sales.

Dont know why you are comparing other FN fisheries to this? Guessing again you are speaking on stuff you aren’t familiar with.

There has never been a roe fishery on the Vedder.....but there has also never been netting in the fall until this year.
    Last edited by tubby; 07-28-2020 at 03:52 PM.

1. Thank you for showing your actual knowledge of our fisheries within the LM. Thinking that we will not see a net fishery this fall is comical. Excess hatchery fish should be taken once brood requirements are met. Let FN have all the excess hatchery fish once they reach the hatchery. Netting the lower river will wipe out any wild component in a few cycles unless we have high water and they can’t net.

As per fish fish getting recycled to the lower river, almost every hatchery system within the US does this practice. I guess our LM First Nation put so much time effort/$ that’s why they are able to take everything from the hatchery

As someone who has been involved with the broodstock program on the Vedder I am very familiar with the hatchery and it’s operation. I can garuntee I have spent more time within this last 6 Months with hatcheries than you have in your lifetime. Trying to lecture me on hatchery protocol is great, please continue with it.

As per relating other fisheries with the “operation” at the Harrison mouth you are grasping at straws trying to stay relevant.
    The Harrison fishery has and always been about foreign roe sales.

Dont know why you are comparing other FN fisheries to this? Guessing again you are speaking on stuff you aren’t familiar with.

There has never been a roe fishery on the Vedder.....but there has also never been netting in the fall until this year.
    Does anyone know if the nets are aloud to be in over night? I assume the one hour before/after sunrise/set doesn't apply

No idea if they are aloowed overnight, but if you have a canoe or larger you can launch sumas river into the vedder and paddle for 10 minutes to the nets and see for yourself..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    Does anyone know if the nets are aloud to be in over night? I assume the one hour before/after sunrise/set doesn't apply
    Does any rule really apply to them? The enforcement record is so sad its a joke.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo