Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Moose Hunt 7-27 (tips needed)

First Moose Hunt 7-27 (tips needed)

Life is finally working out this year and our group is heading to 7-27 with 2 bull moose draws. Be there from Oct 10-26. Any tips for hunting moose in this area on those dates. We have never hunted moose so anything is helpful as far as how to find one, tactics to use.

I know i get excited every year to chase black tails on van isl but this year is special. Hitting the bench soon to load some 160 Barnes TSX for the 7mm Rem Mag, and some 400 Grain Barnes Busters for the 1895 Marlin 45-70.

I couldn't be more pumped up!

Thanks for any help all.
    Blacktail Nut

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Moose Hunt 7-27 (tips needed)

Never hunted 7-27 but will be up at 7-26 at dolphine lake and area,good fishing in the lakes if you have a canoe or small boat. Mybe we will see you up there as Oct1 to the 15. We have a group draw for 2 bulls to. We are from the Island Me from Sooke now but lived in Duncan for 40 years. Good luck to you all. Chuck B.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckerb View Post
    Never hunted 7-27 but will be up at 7-26 at dolphine lake and area,good fishing in the lakes if you have a canoe or small boat. Mybe we will see you up there as Oct1 to the 15. We have a group draw for 2 bulls to. We are from the Island Me from Sooke now but lived in Duncan for 40 years. Good luck to you all. Chuck B.
    We will be a ways from Dolphine but you never know!
    Blacktail Nut

Moose love red willow and water. A lot of times they will feed and bed down in more open areas with lots of willow, you can find a high spot and use your bino's to spot for them, they get up and feed for a bit before heading back into the timber. I've seen them wait until as late as 11am before getting out of their beds. Look for tracks and willows they have been feeding on. I like to hunt the feed and water, cow calling can work wonders too.

Which way are you taking to get to 7-27. I was just over there on the weekend. Usually quite busy during the time you are going.

PM inbound

Quote Originally Posted by Fennemonster View Post
    Which way are you taking to get to 7-27. I was just over there on the weekend. Usually quite busy during the time you are going.

Barging across Babine Lake to Tochcha lake
    Blacktail Nut

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Moose love red willow and water. A lot of times they will feed and bed down in more open areas with lots of willow, you can find a high spot and use your bino's to spot for them, they get up and feed for a bit before heading back into the timber. I've seen them wait until as late as 11am before getting out of their beds. Look for tracks and willows they have been feeding on. I like to hunt the feed and water, cow calling can work wonders too.
    Thank you sir, I'll be sure to heed your advice!
    Blacktail Nut

Hunted there last year. Filled one of 2 tags. It was a tough hunt. Tons of recent logging, some issues with the local natives. They actually had an entire area gated off to the north on the west side of Takla Lake. We did find some good areas though... get off the beaten path and away from the main roads. Most hunters just hunting the mains. The barge is the way to go but I would make sure to call before and make sure the schedule is still regular during those dates.

Quote Originally Posted by SF2020 View Post
    Hunted there last year. Filled one of 2 tags. It was a tough hunt. Tons of recent logging, some issues with the local natives. They actually had an entire area gated off to the north on the west side of Takla Lake. We did find some good areas though... get off the beaten path and away from the main roads. Most hunters just hunting the mains. The barge is the way to go but I would make sure to call before and make sure the schedule is still regular during those dates.
    Who would you call.. I’m heading that way pretty soon, so hopefully the barge is running...