Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What game bags do you use for moose?

What game bags do you use for moose?

Now I by no means want to get ahead of myself and jynx us, but I’d rather be over prepared than under when it comes to an animal of this size..
    I know I’m going to need the biggest size possible for the quarters, and then some smaller ones for the ribs loins neck etc but what brand specifically do you guys use, in grizz territory when you’ll likely need to hang the quarters ?

what do you trust that is durable enough and will also keep the flies out and allow ample breathing?

thanks in advance !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What game bags do you use for moose?

Caribou Gear. I have a set and they are super durable.
    Got mine from Prophet River.
    https://www.caribougear.com

I normally use Yukon brand..found them to be exceptional quality..ie stretch but don't tear....

This year I already checked and they did not have Yukon..so I bought hqoutfitters..36 " x 50 " they seem to be better quality..and say they are washable and reusable..must be great quality ..cuz they are made in Pakistan..lol..they do seem fine but I will still look for Yukon brand.
    Steven

Yukon here too. Also used the Cabelas branded antimicrobial for flies - pricey though. ABSOLUTELY stay away from cheap versions, one of our group was proud of his inexpensive bags but once installed we had flies climbing right through as if it wasn't even there.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

The best I have found are T.A.G.s bags from Pristine Ventures in Fairbanks. Check out the website. Different sizes for moose, caribou, sheep. I have moose bags that have been used on 5 or 6 animals and the caribou size on a couple of bou and sheep. They wash up well and if you do manage to put a hole in them they stitch up well.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."

Another vote for Caribou Gear. I’ve never packed a moose with them, but they sure work well with an elk! Exceptional quality.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Sew up some bed sheets washable last for years

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I buy the bulk cheese cloth when I can find it. Tie a knot in one end and stretch it over the quarter, cut it, tie another knot! Easy! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Or you can just make some out of old sheets.

Hmmm the old bedsheets idea is great..and I have used it for years..however Susan is too busy to sew these up..
    some of the thicker reusable game bags although durable are not as breathable as Yukon game bags etc..Tim had issues with the reusable bags one hot moose season.
    3 years ago it was over 21 degrees on Oct 1..2..3..we shot 2 moose in 2 days..called the hunt over on Oct 4..as the moose were good but dicey,
    The bags keep flies off
    The flat roof tarp keeps sun.rain. .frost off the hung quarters..flat also allows wind to access the quarters
    70 % white vinegar. .30 % clean water lowers the PH balance keeping the meat from turning..adds up to 5 days hanging time..
    PLUS bring wooden pallets for under the meat on the trip home..allows air to circulate..and the heat from exhaust pipes the travel under the truck box from affecting the meat temperature. .it also protects the meat from sitting in rain water should it rain en route home..
    Steven