Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water in the backcountry

Re: Water in the backcountry

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    For safety sake I always carry a life straw in my pack its extremely light weight and could come in handy. There are some cool solutions mentioned above.
    i carry this but havent needed to drink shitty water so only used it to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    i carry this but havent needed to drink shitty water so only used it to try it.
    Me too, I havent had to but its nice to know if youre stuck you can drink pond water.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Just picked up the sawyer mini, good reviews it seems and very light. Fill water bottle from source, attach filter, squeeze your bottle and drink or fill other container. Comes with a lifestraw and water bag as well. I havent tested it yet though

+1 on Sawyer mini or Platypus Gravity systems. The Sawyer is dirt cheap on Amazon and very small and light.

Water filter works great. Big fan of the platypus gravity filter. Good advice is never assume there is water, carry a full load whatever that might be for you, and never pass up the chance to fill up. Sili tarp works really well to catch rain or dew to extend your stay.

I'm about to get something for 4 people. I have a lifestraw gravity system. But, it's old and the water tastes like plastic after filtering - yuck!

The platypus seems to be about 200 bucks and I can't get it from Amazon quickly.

I hate MEC but I could go see what they have...

The sawyer filters are good, nice and light. I use a steri-pen now. It’s awesome, one click 30 seconds for a nalgene. Yes, it runs on batteries, but they last forever....tabs or a sawyer filter for a backup on a long trip.

ya it really depends where you are.

For me - I'll be in the rockies - next to water all the time. But, it's me, wife, and 2 kids...

Here’s another vote of confidence for the Platypus gravity system. I have the 4.0L bags system. It works really well for my family of 5
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon