Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water in the backcountry

Re: Water in the backcountry

Quote Originally Posted by Sad604Man View Post
    Hey guys,
    We plan to go up to roughly 10km into a plateau-ish area where we are unsure of the water supply and quality. Im rigged out with a Katadyn water bottle and filter as well as a couple 1.4L nalgene bottles but im not feeling super confident that it will be enough to last 3 days 4 nights.
    Also a meta-question for you to think about SadMan-- like yourself, any critters living in the area will need reasonable access to a water source in order to be able to survive there. If there's no water sources on or near the plateau, it's unlikely that animals will be hanging out for much time. If there are water sources, no matter how marginal they are, you'll be able to purify that water and drink it, and the animals will be drinking it too. Obviously it's important to go in prepared with sufficient water for a day or two, but if you can't find anything to drink, the animals won't either, and you'll both be looking for literal greener pastures.

Figure it was worth pointing out because you describe yourself as backcountry newbies. Good luck out there!

Plateau sounds kinda dry to me? You should probably carry a good supply of water. I never go anywhere without at least 4 liters. I know its heavy but running out will cut your trip short.

Thanks for info everyone !

There are multiple smaller lakes and streams, but it being july and google earth being what it is I didnt want to put all my eggs in that basket and was searching for the experience and advice of others. Im a firm believer of the 7 P's and wanted some additional insight which i got. Thanks again !

Another good trick I learned in the military is if there's dew on the vegetation in the morning, tie a shirt or a clean rag onto your leg, and after walking through the vegetation for a bit, you can wring the clean water into your mouth - you'd be surprised how effective it can be...

Sawyer squeeze with Platy bags. Works very well and fast. I run one two litre dirty bag and one two litre clean bag plus a nalgene.

With the weather we’ve been having province wide, make sure you pack a sil-tarp to collect rain water.
    Works well when your up top.

If you're into podcasts, check out Remi Warren's Closing the Distance, episode 30. He does a pretty good dive into backcountry water management.

Then listen to all the rest of his episodes. He's a guru.

Cheers,
    Daryl

I did quite a bit of research recently and settled on https://geartrade.ca/Hydroblu-Versa-...lue-p179015451. The Versa Flow water filter has great flow and the CNOC water containers (come in 1, 2 and 3L)

For safety sake I always carry a life straw in my pack its extremely light weight and could come in handy. There are some cool solutions mentioned above.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

No shortage of moisture this year....
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....