Thread: Rookie Lake Fishing in/near Langley

Rookie Lake Fishing in/near Langley

Hello,

I was trying to get my girlfriend into fishing more and was looking to have a bit of success, we've been skunked the last 3 times we've gone. We've been up to Tunkwa for a long weekend, over to the Canadian section of Ross today, and been to the Vedder for steelhead fishing last year (but I knew that wasn't going to be successful).

Boat wise I have an inflatable raft that I just use paddles and can borrow a larger 10ft dingy that has a 9.9HP gas motor.

She's using a spincaster so I think lake fishing would be preferred. I was going to re-spool it with either 4 or 8 lbs test since I think it has 15 right now.

Looking at the stocking reports I think just trying to head to Rolley or Whonnock we could hopefully get into something. Any other suggestions for some local lakes and/or some different techniques would be really appreciated!

Thank you in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rookie Lake Fishing in/near Langley

You were skunked on Tunkwa? Which long weekend? If it was in the summer when the heat was on I can understand but otherwise you should have caught fish there. Maybe your choice of flies was off for that particular time frame. Keep going out and try reading up on some flyfishing sites for info on patterns that work. Good luck.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Taking that 15lbs off would be a step in the right direction

You can troll with a spinning rod. 4lb test line, a very small split shot weight 3 or 4 feet above a fly hook, let out lots of line. Just a slow paddle will get the hook down in the zone. If you are using lures just row fast enough to make the lure do its action. Do some speed changes from time to time to get the fish to strike. Once she catches her first fish she'll be hooked.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Looking back it wasn't a long weekend, we went June 12-14 of this year so it just felt like one. The weather on the first day was extremely windy, nobody was out on the water, whitecaps on the lake a bunch of peoples tents snapped from the wind as well, and then it proceeded to rain pretty heavily for the rest of the weekend. We were told to try black leeches, and I tried a couple different crocs and spinners as well nothing really seemed to be working. I only saw one other person catch a fish while we were there and they were trolling. We also tried going to Leighton as well but same thing, not very much success.

I will definitely be taking off the 15lb.

Thanks for the tips on trolling, I have been putting the split shots much closer, 1-2 feet and I thought that 2 feet was more than far enough away.

Like you mentioned earlier time on the water is the most important along with patience, which I'm still trying to acquire so its hard to teach to someone else.

I appreciate the information, thanks a bunch!

lakes can be pretty tough mid summer. They have alot of different options but typically key in on 1 or 2 of the insects hatching.

Row. Row. Row. Nice and slow, with a good stroke so your fly will rise with the stroke, and fall with the slowing of the boat. Utilize the wind and be mindful of the fact going with the wind your fly will travel faster, versus going into the wind. Use leeches, black, brown olive or maroon. Try wooly buggers as well. Doc spratleys (leeches, dragons, chironomids at times) and carey specials (caddis pupae, leeches, dragonflies) imitate a number of different insects by using different sizes and colors. Troll/row along drop offs. Use lighter line so your fly will sink. Thicker line does not sink as it creates too much drag. 8-10lb line is plenty for any trout in the interior. That will get you started and then once you get hooked, you will dial in your effort as your interest grows (or not). This method is all I used as a kid, and I fished with a spinning rod with light line, rowing my dinghy. Worked great. Got me hooked to the point where i basically only fly fish or spey fish, and I tie my own flies as needed. Tunkwa has some very good fishing early August for the "bomber" hatch (large chironomids). Good luck, keep at it, and the pieces to the puzzle will all come together, at a pace that is entirely dependant upon your interest and intrigue. Cheers!