Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s the best backpacking/hiking socks?

What’s the best backpacking/hiking socks?

I’m looking for some opinions here. I tried a pair of my buddy’s first lite socks last fall and fell in love with them. I went to order 3 pairs of socks a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $75 for shipping. The bill was around $200 so I decided to go a different route. I ordered some darn tough heavy hiking socks, but they really don’t compare, so now I’m out another $70. I probably should have just paid the shipping.

Anyways, who knows of a reasonable sock with a heavy foot bed designed for hiking with the top and ankle sections lighter. Must be merino.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What’s the best backpacking/hiking socks?

Don't know if they're merino but they are wool, Wigwam has a variety of really good hiking/backpacking socks. I like them and they seem to last. I have to buy some more soon mine are getting older. I use all seasons for any type of outdoor recreation; hiking, hunting, backpacking, snowshoeing, crosscountry skiing. I have a variety of different thicknesses for different temperatures.

I like the drifit socks from Marks, and icebreaker light hikers for merino.
    Last edited by Squamch; 07-12-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    Don't know if they're merino but they are wool, Wigwam has a variety of really good hiking/backpacking socks. I like them and they seem to last. I have to buy some more soon mine are getting older. I use all seasons for any type of outdoor recreation; hiking, hunting, backpacking, snowshoeing, crosscountry skiing. I have a variety of different thicknesses for different temperatures.
    x2 on the Wigwams.

All the fancy Wigwam, Smartwool, Icebreaker etc are very nice. But to be honest I haven’t found them any better or longer lasting than the $15 3 pack of Kirkland brand from Costco.
    Twist and pull.

I use darn tough

If you have quality shoes, no point in spending big buck on socks....I buy/bought mine (3pairs) from bass pro many years ago and they would replace them for free for life..(can’t remember the brand as it’s my scotch now)....you don’t want something too warm, sweaty feet not a good thing.

Mak

Nylon HH liner sock and a pair of Merino over top...

Check posts #’s 31,43,44
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ght=wool+socks

Gave a couple pairs away as presents & still have the other 2 pairs. They are in excellent shape & definitely worth their weight in gold!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I have a pair of Thorlos coming from amazon. They say to go up a half size on your boots, which I can’t change. We’ll see what happens
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.