Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What’s the best backpacking/hiking socks?

Re: What’s the best backpacking/hiking socks?

Smartwool.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

i like smartwool and darn tough brands

The darn tough hiker boot sock full cushion are growing on me. They seem to have the same amount of material around the whole sock. I’d like a heavier foot pad and just a skim of material on the top.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Darn Tough's are all I wear right now. Hiking, working out, on duty or just out walking dogs. Haven't had a pair rip or tear on me. Wore 1 pair for a 7 day hike and didn't even need a change.

Quote Originally Posted by jikkyo View Post
    Darn Tough's are all I wear right now. Hiking, working out, on duty or just out walking dogs. Haven't had a pair rip or tear on me. Wore 1 pair for a 7 day hike and didn't even need a change.
    Where do you get those? I have been wearing the merino ice breaker socks for a few seasons. So far so good.

Buy the Costco Merino Wool ones in the 3 or 4 pack whatever it is . I agree they seem to be fitting smaller Large is too snug now ! The heels seem to blow out first maybe that’s the case with all socks !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I have personally tried all brands mentioned above and will definitely say that my Darn Touch socks are by far the most comfortable socks I have ever worn for hiking/hunting. That being said, the icebreakers would be a close second. I found that the Smartwool socks I purchased stretch out while wearing. Costco trails socks are good cheaper socks to fill out your collection and hold you over until you can afford to fill your collection with the nicer ones.

Farm to Feet socks. More Spandex than Darn Tough, so they aren't nearly as tight.
    Lots of styles and different cushion.
    $9USD shipping to Canada via USPS. Duties and taxes are due at the border though.

I use Wigwam wool socks with "diabetic" socks as a thin liner. Diabetic socks are synthetic, thin and very breathable. Wigwams are wool, warm when dry or wet, and very durable. You get the best of both worlds. This setup has worked great except for the hottest part of summer. But it may take some trial and error to find what works best for you and your boots. I took this setup with me when trying on my Lowas, and it made a huge difference in my choice of boot. I wouldn't give up my boot and sock combo for anything now.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

First time I’ve heard of the company name Darn Tough they look pretty neat. What model of sock are you guys running the light hikers sound pretty good from the description on the Sail webpage. I have the mod weight merino Kuiu socks I really like the fit of them have used them on half a dozen 7 plus day mountain trips.