Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern BC FN call for removal of GBear hunt ban

Northern BC FN call for removal of GBear hunt ban

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Northern BC FN call for removal of GBear hunt ban

Thank You Chad Day!

No doubt the grizz have a huge impact on moose, caribou...numbers & are known to kill up to 40 newborn calves each & each year. Do the math.
    Also I believe in the grizz expert extraordinaire, Gary Shelton that said -hunting grizz instills fear of men, hence less attacks.

We'll probably have to wait for a change in govt. before it's considered.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 07-11-2020 at 03:04 PM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Thank You Chad Day!

No doubt the grizz have a huge impact on moose, caribou...numbers & are known to kill up to 40 newborn calves each & each year. Do the math.
    Also I believe in the grizz expert extraordinaire, Gary Shelton that said -hunting grizz instills fear of men, hence less attacks.

We'll probably have to wait for a change in govt. before it's considered.
    I wholeheartedly agree! I seriously don't think merely changing the government will bring about
    the changes needed though. Regardless as to what government is in charge they seem to cater
    to the largest populations within cites...most of these people, in my opinion, are me me me, self
    entitled, and base their decisions purely on emotion rather than scientific facts. They watch the
    TV commercials and Disney based animated films depicting grizzlies as friendly, cuddly, harmless
    teddy bears that wouldn't hurt a fly and actually believe it. Same with wolves. I wonder how many
    of these clueless people would have second thoughts if they were made to watch what really goes
    on out there with predator-prey daily encounters.

couldn't agree more....

“We just want to make sure that we make balanced decisions that are based in science and Indigenous knowledge rather than based in emotions from whatever the most popular opinion is in B.C. because we know that the average British Columbian doesn’t live amongst grizzly bears and understand those apex predators like we do.”

It's no coincidence that the Tahltan own G/O territories and would like to sell those hunts. Although whatever the motive is, if a lift of this ban is the final result, I'd support their efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    It's no coincidence that the Tahltan own G/O territories and would like to sell those hunts. Although whatever the motive is, if a lift of this ban is the final result, I'd support their efforts.
    thats what I wanted to say, if there was no money to be made off selling these hunts then they couldn’t care less I’m sure, but yes it’s for the “moose”

Stories like this one are the only way major predator management will be possible in the future. The urbanites that drive voting want to save Yogi the Bear, but modern "woke" culture means those same folks can't criticize anything First Nations groups do. Talk about between a rock and a hard place for those folks!

Sure, the Tahltan have their own agenda - but if hunting for everyone improves as a result it is a "win-win".
    Last edited by glennw89; 07-11-2020 at 04:36 PM.

All predators need managing, grizzlies are no different. Hopefully we see this moratorium removed and the hunts can resume.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    That's what I was thinking as well...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Although whatever the motive is, if a lift of this ban is the final result, I'd support their efforts.
    Sure, the Tahltan have their own agenda - but if hunting for everyone improves as a result it is a "win-win"
    I have my doubts hunting for "everyone" will improve....NOTHING I have seen in recent memory makes me think that a "reversal" of the ban would end up being for everyone....more likely a re-opening of grizzly hunting under the exclusive control of first nations in their own areas.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson