Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Information on Hwy 37 Road Blockades

Re: Information on Hwy 37 Road Blockades

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Any updates? I’m flying out of dease in a couple weeks.
    604ksmith said he had a couple buddies fly out of dease a couple days ago. Nothing was mentioned about native issues

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Well that is good news...curious where the "Todagin hunters" are parking....I will find out soon as I head up that way again.
    I talked to the gal at Alpine and I guess they've blocked access (parking) at the trailhead (no parking at the lodge). I have not seen this myself, just word from the float plane base there. Hoping to head up myself.

When I spoke with alpine air it was business as usual??

Hiked the todagin trail near tatogga on August 4th. Unfortunately not hunting just hiking. Parked at trail head. There was a newly installed gate just off the hwy. it wasn’t locked yet. Still room to park on hwy side of gate and it is only 150 meters past gate to trail head anyways.

lots of blowdown on trail up to alpine.

Was there lots of hunters on south slope?

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy Solocam View Post
    Hiked the todagin trail near tatogga on August 4th. Unfortunately not hunting just hiking. Parked at trail head. There was a newly installed gate just off the hwy. it wasn’t locked yet. Still room to park on hwy side of gate and it is only 150 meters past gate to trail head anyways.

lots of blowdown on trail up to alpine.
    Thanks for posting the update. Very helpful.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Recieved this email today from Fish+Wildlife today

Hello,

You’re receiving this email because you were successful in your application for a Limited Entry Hunting authorization for one or more of the following:

Caribou: hunt codes 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004
    Combination Moose/Caribou: hunt code 4226
    Moose: hunt codes 4251, 4252, 4253
    Goat: hunt codes 5134, 5135, 5136
    Mountain Sheep: hunt Code 6030

The Klappan Rail Grade (also known as the Ealue Lake Road), 143 km in total, is the primary road access to Management Unit 6-20 and recent heavy rain events and a road failure has made the road impassable to all motor vehicles (including ATVs) beyond the 28 km mark. Access into the area is still available by water or air. Please take this information in to consideration while planning a hunt in this area. See below for a map of the impacted area.

LEH authorizations for these areas are still valid and the hunting seasons remain open and unchanged. LEH authorizations are not transferable and can not be deferred to other times.

Hunters are reminded to be aware of COVID 19 precautions and restrictions. Please visithttps://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...vid-19-updates for more information.

Please contact fishandwildlife@gov.bc.ca if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Wildlife and Habitat Branch
    Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development

Semper in excretum altum

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Was there lots of hunters on south slope?
    Saw two other hikers above tree line but behind us and they were back down the mountain before we came down. No other vehicles at the trail head.

Very interesting email, thanks for sharing. Got a moose LEH for the Stikine this year but with the Tahltan blockading the boat launch it's not looking possible. The email from FLNRORD indicates otherwise though "Access into the area is still available by water or air" and "LEH authorizations for these areas are still valid and the hunting seasons remain open and unchanged". The recent announcement by the Tahltan would indicate otherwise! Been told the Tahltan have a legal right to protest and a court injunction is required to remove blockades. It is unlikely hunters will be seeking court injunctions so its looking like Tahltan will be successful in shutting down the Stikine LEH hunt this year if they're able to close the boat launch. Regs are pretty clear on this one, pg 15 S.38 "It is unlawful to interfere with or obstruct a person licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged". Seems like this is exactly what's happening with the blockades. I'd argue that the right to protest in this case is in contravention of the Wildlife Act. The president of the Tahltan Nation, Chad Day has stated the RCMP and CO Service will be present to "minimize conflict". My hope is that they will do this by ensuring LEH hunters are not prevented from exercising their legally authorized hunts and ensuring the boat launch remains accessible.

Can't you launch somewhere else?