Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Information on Hwy 37 Road Blockades

Re: Information on Hwy 37 Road Blockades

So what's happening - are hunters being turned around?

Also has hunting and fishing nor been declared an essential ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Reaper View Post
    Very interesting email, thanks for sharing. Got a moose LEH for the Stikine this year but with the Tahltan blockading the boat launch it's not looking possible. The email from FLNRORD indicates otherwise though "Access into the area is still available by water or air" and "LEH authorizations for these areas are still valid and the hunting seasons remain open and unchanged". The recent announcement by the Tahltan would indicate otherwise! Been told the Tahltan have a legal right to protest and a court injunction is required to remove blockades. It is unlikely hunters will be seeking court injunctions so its looking like Tahltan will be successful in shutting down the Stikine LEH hunt this year if they're able to close the boat launch. Regs are pretty clear on this one, pg 15 S.38 "It is unlawful to interfere with or obstruct a person licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged". Seems like this is exactly what's happening with the blockades. I'd argue that the right to protest in this case is in contravention of the Wildlife Act. The president of the Tahltan Nation, Chad Day has stated the RCMP and CO Service will be present to "minimize conflict". My hope is that they will do this by ensuring LEH hunters are not prevented from exercising their legally authorized hunts and ensuring the boat launch remains accessible.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

BCWF member update...

Highway 37 Update - Access to Ealue Lake Road Restored

In 2016, BCWF gained an Interlocutory Injunction with Enforcement Order that prohibited any activity to prevent, restrict, impede or interfere with any person or vehicle in accessing or traveling on Ealue Lake Road.
    It has been confirmed that this injunction and enforcement order, S-169073 at Ealue Lake Road(which leads to the Klappan), is still valid. If British Columbians would like to access the road they should contact the RCMP in Dease Lake ahead of time to notify them when you will be arriving at the Ealue Lake road and to accompany you in case anyone is at the gate. The contact number is (250) 771-4111.
    There may be a lock on the gate; if there is a lock, removal will be up to you. The lock could be removed with a bolt cutter or grinder. Do not do more damage than necessary to gain access. The RCMP has agreed to supervise British Columbians opening the gate.
    Additionally, it is possible there may be other obstructions on the road.
    If you encounter any persons looking for a confrontation do not engage. Contact the Dease Lake RCMP immediately.
    Please note this only applies to the Ealue Lake Road. Please print off and carry a copy of the injunction order with you. To access the injunction order, please click here.
    The safety of all British Columbians is of great importance to BCWF. Please review our access guidelines below and plan your trip accordingly.
    As it relates to possible information checkpoints:

• First Nations authority extends to communities. Several communities are closed to people from outside the community. Please avoid all remote communities, unless you are a local.
    • First Nations, or Indian Reserves, are considered private property and as such, cannot be entered without permission.
    • Respect all checkpoints and COVID-19 safety protocols. The RCMP or Conservation Officer Service will be at some checkpoints to monitor the situation.

As it relates to possible blockades:

• Blockades barring access outside of First Nations communities, title lands, and Indian Reserves are not legal.
    • Stay calm and do not be aggressive.
    • If approached at a blockade or gate, maintain a physical distance of two metres and consider wearing a mask that covers your nose and mouth.
    • Note: The easiest way to document and report a blockade is by using the BCWF Conservation App. Take a photo or video using your app, select the “Block Access” icon. Add additional option informant in the spaces provided. Your report will go directly to the Conservation Officer Service as soon as you are in service.

If you are safely able to do so:

• Photograph and video the location. Any vehicle, structure, or gate that is blocking the road should be photographed.
    • Record or write down any licence plate numbers or distinguishing features of vehicles.
    • If the protesters are open to a conversation with you, ask, “Are you preventing me from using the road? I want to understand why you are preventing me from using the road? Do you represent an organization? Can you share your name and where you are from?” Photograph or video this interaction, if it can be done safely.
    • Take notes of the interaction directly after it is over. Note the location, the individuals (with numbers, descriptions or identities, if known, license plates, etc.), and the content of any conversations. Also, note any impacts of being prevented from accessing the area and the number of people affected by the blockades.
    • On a map, mark the location of the blockade and the location of the activities prevented from being undertaken.
    • Contact the B.C. Wildlife Federation Office @ 1-888-881-2293 and let us know what is happening.
      File a complaint with the local RCMP and Conservation Officer Service. Blockades must be reported to the RCMP and COS to ensure there is a formal record of the complaint.
    • Provide copies of documents that describe how your legal rights are being interfered with such as permits, grants, licenses, contracts, including copies of documents.

https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....