Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEH Bison 7-42D

LEH Bison 7-42D

I know there are a few bison posts going around, but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's posts with my questions. Since my wife, myself and a close friend managed to get drawn for the Zone D bison hunt for the end of October, I've spent oodles of time trying to look at as many maps, and read all of the information I can! All of the information I've read so far from previous posts as far back as I can find, everyone suggests going to Sikanni Outfitters or talking to Vern. The word so far is that the Blueberry ranch will be staying closed until further notice (info from Vern as of 7/10/2020). I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from Sikanni as of yet unfortunately. Since the zones are now completely different than they used to be, It looks like getting information from both previous zones would be best. I am have read about getting around the Blueberry Ranch in years past, but I'm not sure if that's still a thing. Does anyone have updated information about this? Is there anyone who would be willing to drop a few PM's even, or perhaps have a medium length phone call so I can get the best experience possible? Thanks in advance!

CJ
    Last edited by Dustee; 07-10-2020 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Corrected information

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH Bison 7-42D

You should still be able to get around the ranch with ATV’s if you want to. But I’m not really familiar with the new boundaries. Although it looks like the halfway is the southern boundary for a fair ways. I’ve never hunted the sikanni valley.

I hunted the Sikanni valley last year and our group was successful. We camped at the airstrip. PM me with any specific questions and i'll be glad to help.

Hello. We have a draw for zone C nov 1st. I called mcElhanney land surveyors in Fort St. John and order a map of the area. It’s was very helpful. Was 66$ but its 3’x4’ and defines the new boundaries well. Has helped me with planning. I would or will post a pic of the map if you would like also but I actually don’t know how to do that yet lol. This is only my 3rd day on this site n haven’t put much time into figuring it out yet. Would need to on Monday though if it is possible because I’m currently 10hrs from home scouting my moose grounds for this year ��. Let me know if you would like me to try figure it out. Or I guess i could email pics of it too.

Mudsey, I hope you expect a couple of PM's from me once I can narrow down some questions! I have so many but I want to make sure that I don't waste anyone's time with pointless thoughts. I appreciate it!

Ashley, I would love a picture of the map when you have time, I'll also give McElhanney a call again and see if I can snag one of those maps. I'll also do my best to keep in contact when we are up there with weather updates as well as Bison locations if possible. Have you settled on Sikanni and the airstrip for camping so far?(I've been following your thread as well).

Hopefully there is some more information before we end up going. There is a lot from previous years, but there wasn't a lot of info from last year that I can find. Thanks to all the people who have PM'd me with info!

I forgot to ask if anyone knows if Helge Tomter still has a ranch with a cabin to stay at. I keep finding references to his place, but didn't want to give him a call without confirmation first.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

i have never heard of him and there is no other ranch in there except Sikanni Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by Dustee View Post
    I forgot to ask if anyone knows if Helge Tomter still has a ranch with a cabin to stay at. I keep finding references to his place, but didn't want to give him a call without confirmation first.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

I guess I should have added some of the information I have found in regards to Helge. From the sparse info I can find, it seems he has a ranch on 156, or 147 before you get to Blueberry Mountain Ranch. Info is hard to consolidate since the new zones are completely different than the old ones. From what I understand, it used to be that if you had zone B, you hunted from the old airfield or Sikanni Outfitters Ranch. If you had zone A, you paid Blueberry Mountain to have access to the Halfway Valley. There is a quad trail around Blueberry that can be sketchy at times, and adds some time to the trip to the back of the Valley. The interesting part with zone D, is it covers both of these places, and while a lot of information from previous endeavors is useful, it doesn't give a complete picture.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...01#post1271601
    The link to the post above was the first reference I found to Helge, and he is mentioned a few times in that thread. I did find a few more with his name and number so was hoping someone had some more recent information.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustee View Post
    Mudsey, I hope you expect a couple of PM's from me once I can narrow down some questions! I have so many but I want to make sure that I don't waste anyone's time with pointless thoughts. I appreciate it!

Ashley, I would love a picture of the map when you have time, I'll also give McElhanney a call again and see if I can snag one of those maps. I'll also do my best to keep in contact when we are up there with weather updates as well as Bison locations if possible. Have you settled on Sikanni and the airstrip for camping so far?(I've been following your thread as well).

Hopefully there is some more information before we end up going. There is a lot from previous years, but there wasn't a lot of info from last year that I can find. Thanks to all the people who have PM'd me with info!

awesome. Maybe you can PM me your email and I can send it to you once I figure it out. Regarding letting me know how your hunt goes as well as weather conditions etc that would be GREATLY appreciated! I really hope there is snow! Lol. We’re not 100% if we are going to be camped at the airstrip or if we will set up a second camp in C yet. We will have base camp at the airstrip for sure I guess but may not be around much. We’re going to go scout the area either in August (if we get our moose early and have all the time in the world to screw around lol fingers crossed!) or in September sometime. I would like to take the quad through to the end of the allowed road just to see what we’re up against then we can decide where we’ll camp. I can’t wait! Even if we come out empty handed (which ofcourse I Hope doesn’t happen) it’s going to be an amazing hunt! According to the CO I spoke with 25-30% of the boson tags are filled...so hopefully our groups are part of those statistics!

Does anyone have any information on current herds on halfway vs sikanni? Since both are available in C and D it could be useful information.