Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEH Bison 7-42D

Re: LEH Bison 7-42D

Helge is on the 147 road just before the Pink Mountain Ranch gate. I have been trying to contact him with a number I got from him last time I was up there (3 years ago) but no luck contacting him yet. If the Blueberry Band is not going to be renting cabins this year, hopefully they will still let you cross the property (for a fee of course) to gain access to the trail. It is very tough passing through the trail now that goes around the ranch due to recent rock slides. We have been successful several times in the Halfway valley but we are looking at the Sikanni area this year for something different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustee View Post
    I guess I should have added some of the information I have found in regards to Helge. From the sparse info I can find, it seems he has a ranch on 156, or 147 before you get to Blueberry Mountain Ranch. Info is hard to consolidate since the new zones are completely different than the old ones. From what I understand, it used to be that if you had zone B, you hunted from the old airfield or Sikanni Outfitters Ranch. If you had zone A, you paid Blueberry Mountain to have access to the Halfway Valley. There is a quad trail around Blueberry that can be sketchy at times, and adds some time to the trip to the back of the Valley. The interesting part with zone D, is it covers both of these places, and while a lot of information from previous endeavors is useful, it doesn't give a complete picture.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...01#post1271601
    The link to the post above was the first reference I found to Helge, and he is mentioned a few times in that thread. I did find a few more with his name and number so was hoping someone had some more recent information.

I guess I should have added some of the information I have found in regards to Helge. From the sparse info I can find, it seems he has a ranch on 156, or 147 before you get to Blueberry Mountain Ranch. Info is hard to consolidate since the new zones are completely different than the old ones. From what I understand, it used to be that if you had zone B, you hunted from the old airfield or Sikanni Outfitters Ranch. If you had zone A, you paid Blueberry Mountain to have access to the Halfway Valley. There is a quad trail around Blueberry that can be sketchy at times, and adds some time to the trip to the back of the Valley. The interesting part with zone D, is it covers both of these places, and while a lot of information from previous endeavors is useful, it doesn't give a complete picture.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...01#post1271601
    The link to the post above was the first reference I found to Helge, and he is mentioned a few times in that thread. I did find a few more with his name and number so was hoping someone had some more recent information.
    Can't comment on Helge's contact info but when we stayed at the Blueberry Ranch in 2016 Vern and Helge came by the cabin one evening for a beer and a bullshit - I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life! What a pair those two are!

Myself and 3 friends got the same draw, end of Oct for Zone D. We're currently thinking of bringing a wall tent or campers to stay at the air strip or trying to rent a cabin. Have you had any success finding a cabin yet?

Cabins at Sikanni river outfitters are $150 each hunter per night inc meals. Ill be camping myself.

Well it's not even 2 weeks away! The excitement is starting to creep in. This is going to be an awesome trip. I'm hoping someone has some up to date info on what's going on around Pink Mountain.

Well it's not even 2 weeks away! The excitement is starting to creep in. This is going to be an awesome trip. I'm hoping someone has some up to date info on what's going on around Pink Mountain.
    I spent two weeks in the halfway river valley just past the ranch, got back last weekend. We didn't see a single Bison, fresh tracks or even a pile of shit that wasn't at least two years old. I've hunted this area for the past 7 years and every year we see less and less. Last year I only saw one, this year none. Also the road around the ranch is ALMOST impassible. Probably not the news you're looking for, but don't waste your money on the trespass fee if you don't have to, there isn't jack shit for Bison past the ranch. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I spent two weeks in the halfway river valley just past the ranch, got back last weekend. We didn't see a single Bison, fresh tracks or even a pile of shit that wasn't at least two years old. I've hunted this area for the past 7 years and every year we see less and less. Last year I only saw one, this year none. Also the road around the ranch is ALMOST impassible. Probably not the news you're looking for, but don't waste your money on the trespass fee if you don't have to, there isn't jack shit for Bison past the ranch. Best of luck.

I appreciate the update! Thank you so much! I'll probably avoid the halfway river it looks like.

We just got back from 10 days on the Sikanni. We dragged camp an hour in behind the ATV and stayed at the memorial site. Saw one bison as a running blur in the timber at 25 yards and that was it. Some fresh sign early on in the timber but by the end of the tour no fresh stuff. Beautiful place and a great trip though. Saw Elk, Muleys, whiteys. Heard through the Sikanni telegraph that only 3 bison died during our time and all three were in zone C way deep in. Two by horseback and one by what appears to be sheer luck and 6km of humping it out over the next few days. Fort St. Trimble Creek needed it’s own postal code and sewer system there were so many camps and people but it sounds like everyone had fun and got along.
    The airstrip crowd all bailed after the first week. By the time we got back to the truck there was two camps left I think.
    Bring a positive attitude and an elk bugle for fun and enjoy the area. The ridges and mountains have spectacular views and who knows maybe the bison will wander back in any day.

Oh and for ***k sakes read the regulations on ATV use. So many morons driving their bikes up and down the side trails that they are not allowed on.
    Last edited by RustyBrit; 10-13-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Good Info ! Sorry you did not Connect on a Bison BUT sounds like you still Enjoyed the Trip ! RJ

I GUESS there's no CO's Patrolling the " Out Back " EH !

Thanks for the update! I'm excited just for the experience. If we manage to tag a bison, then even better but what beautiful country!!