Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting soft shell jackets

Hunting soft shell jackets

Looking for a jacket that I can wear over a base layer or my wool sweater or puffy when needed. Something to provide some weather protection from light to medium rain and wind, and is somewhat packable. I don’t think I want a full out hard shell jacket, I already have some stretchy hh rain gear that I’m happy with.
    I like the looks of some of the hunting brand jackets like the Sitka Jetstream or Kuiu guide. I’m open to mountaineering brands too, as most hunting brands are expensive to get across the border. Camo isn’t a concern.
    what do you use for a jacket? What do you suggest?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting soft shell jackets

I've got the KUIU Axis jacket. I really like it. Stretchy, comfy, and well made. It has waterproof breathable panels in the areas that get the most moisture but regular fabric elsewhere so it breathes really well and sheds water very well also. There are a couple things I would change about it but I give it a 9/10

If you order KUIU make sure you size up from what they tell you. I have a Guide Jacket and a set of Yukon. I'm a large in the Yukon but a XL in the Guide.... Their return policy is pretty ok except if you ship back if you got the wrong size they will bill you twice. they only credit upon the return product landing. Ordering is super simple tho and the price online is the price you pay... as long as you order on the Canadian site lol... my Yukon jacket is a bit noisy in the bush but it is really waterproof and comphy.... the Guide is water resistant, really comphy as well but I bought it for a normal daily jacket. iv had it in pretty decent rain and got wet.. it does dry fast tho

Both the guide and the jetstream have decent water resistant qualities. I also treat mine with waterproofing spray to further help out.

My main go to is a Sitka Timberline jacket, great for wind but only good for light rain. Medium for a short while but it's not intended for a rain layer.

I have one of the cheap Cabela's rain packable jacket and the pants last season but haven't really tried it out yet. Doesn't feel like it will be good for the heavy stuff but I'm rarely out in a monsoon
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

I have a First lite Corrugate guide jacket.
    Comfortable, breathable, bombproof can take a light rain.
    Last edited by Talltimber1; 07-20-2020 at 07:12 PM.

w/ or w/o hood?
    First Ascent
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I have the Kuiu Guide. It’s the right jacket based on the description you’re looking for. It’s packable but not “super” packable, however.

I personally would never run a soft shell. I don’t even pack my kuiu guide jacket with me at all unless im driving around with the gf and kid. ps the guide jacket is useless definitely not waterproof, and doesn’t block any Wind. I use a puffy jacket and kuiu Yukon year round. Aug sheep hunts to November white tail hunts.

I second the first light corrugated jacket, just got one and seems great so far.