Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2020 bison hunt

Re: 2020 bison hunt

I keep an extra 5 clip on hand for safety and keep it filled with 180 grain hornady superformance mushrooming ammo. I have heard stories of grizz charging towards warning shots.

Ok so I’ll watch out for grizzlies! Lol. Thanks for all the information. Does anyone else have the draw in 7-42 c in November? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    The GOS is great for those that have a bison on their “to do” list, but I can’t think why we would not want them to expand their range? It’s not like they are invasive...
    Very nice..
    Last edited by barongan; 07-15-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MB73 View Post
    I keep an extra 5 clip on hand for safety and keep it filled with 180 grain hornady superformance mushrooming ammo. I have heard stories of grizz charging towards warning shots.
    Wouldn't this be the wrong kind of ammo for griz? especially close up. Those Hornady's are known to come apart, i think you want a stronger bullet.

maybe he is talking about the monometal GMX Mushrooming ammo
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    maybe he is talking about the monometal GMX Mushrooming ammo
    Ya that would makes sense, for some reason I read super performance and thought SST.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    Was camped at the airstrip from Oct 15 to Nov 1 last year myself. I think it was the 3rd day there we woke up to a solid foot of snow. Chains for the truck and quad are a must to bring, make sure you have 4 chains for the truck if it gets warm / slick and you want a hope of getting back out to the highway with a toyhauler. There was a performance on the big hill while we were there involving a pickup, gooseneck horse trailer, and another pickup that didn’t go well for everyone involved.

Grizz are plentiful in the area. Expect to be actively hunted by them, especially with an animal down. If there’s snow on the ground you’ll see what I mean. One followed my boot and quad tracks over 14 km one night.

We saw lows of -16C in late Oct, so don’t expect LML weather. Most days saw melting temps, especially when sunny, but once that sun drops.... High, gusting winds are a reality at times at the airstrip too, make sure to tuck your camp off to the side and tie any tents down WELL!

Trimble Ck to the airstrip is about 35Km as said, at least according to my odometer with oversized tires. 2 hours at a reasonable pace is accurate, but I won’t say it can’t be done in an hour and ten if an animal is down, night is falling, and you’re going for the rest of the group and a quad trailer. An hour and 45 with a heavily loaded trailer. That’s pushing hard, to say the least.

It’s pretty awesome, wild country once you put the boots to work and venture off the beaten trail and all the other draw winners, and thanks to bison being a mainly herd animal, any success in accessible areas is usually followed by heavy “gutpile hunting” from other hunters.

Enjoy, be safe, and go prepared for anything. Having done the late Oct. hunt twice now, my #1 advice is to over-prepare on how to stay /get warm. Heated grips and a full windshield. Heavy bib overalls with legs zips for when you’re on the quad. Good mitts. A nice stack of dry firewood for the stove if tenting. A propane torch to carefully pre-warm the quad engines if needed, they can be grumpy to start below -15. Even a small generator and battery charger is a good thing to have along too.
    Great info. Im doing the same hunt but late October and I'm having trouble because of snowmobiles not being aloud until November 1st. I noticed you mentioned sleds and ATV's and I thought the trail out of the airstrip ended far before getting into Zone C. I saw Redfern Trail takes you way further in but still a good 10km hike from the trail past Trimble Lake and Provincial Park boundary to get into Zone C. Can you confirm if there is any other access to C via ATV?

Quote Originally Posted by dewert View Post
    Great info. Im doing the same hunt but late October and I'm having trouble because of snowmobiles not being aloud until November 1st. I noticed you mentioned sleds and ATV's and I thought the trail out of the airstrip ended far before getting into Zone C. I saw Redfern Trail takes you way further in but still a good 10km hike from the trail past Trimble Lake and Provincial Park boundary to get into Zone C. Can you confirm if there is any other access to C via ATV?
    I ended up getting a map with the detailed trails sent to me, and it looks like if you're going through Sikanni, the trail ends about 500M into zone C. On the Halfway side of things, the trail ends about 2km from zone C. In theory, from the things I've read, you can get into zone C on Sikanni and be into the Bison. I'm up there in Zone D for the same timeframe. I'm more than happy to share any info I have on animals I find in Zone C if I'm in a different part than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustee View Post
    I ended up getting a map with the detailed trails sent to me, and it looks like if you're going through Sikanni, the trail ends about 500M into zone C. On the Halfway side of things, the trail ends about 2km from zone C. In theory, from the things I've read, you can get into zone C on Sikanni and be into the Bison. I'm up there in Zone D for the same timeframe. I'm more than happy to share any info I have on animals I find in Zone C if I'm in a different part than you are.
    What map did you get out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by ajeatoo View Post
    What map did you get out of curiosity?
    I got the map from McElhanney. They are good maps, and the gentleman who you end up talking to named Steve is a wealth of information on the area.