Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 bison hunt

2020 bison hunt

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting with you all.. well posting anywhere ever really. But to the point! We got a bison draw this year in the new 7-42 C zone. First of all, YAY! I’m so excited!!!! Secondly, man they made the access a pain! So my main question is how long is it by atv and/or sled (weather dependant ofcourse) from the airstrip to the border of zone C? Not looking at my map at the moment but I believe the road is grassy chicken or something... the one that goes to the sikanni outfitters. Also our draw is nov 1-15.. what are the chances of snow at that time? I’m from the fraser valley so do not have much insight except for what I read/hear. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! 😊

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2020 bison hunt

I was there oct 15 last year .... we had alot of snow one morning. Bring both sleds and atv. We pulled our trucks right up to the air strip and camped there. Highly recommend bringing tire chains for your truck. As for distances in .... i do not know because they split up that zone this year. Hope this helps and good luck

Ok. Ya I’ve been reading that it’s kind of a crap shoot weather wise at that time. I already went out and bought a couple sleds and a sled deck and will have the quads on the toy hauler so I will be bringing both. As for the drive in I’ve read that hill before the air strip can be sketchy so I will get chains for sure. Do you think it will be a problem with a 29’ toy hauler behind me? I have a 2010 dodge Ram 3500 mega cab. Do people ever chain up the trailer as well?
    thanks so much for the info!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Chains on the truck will be just fine.....As to how far it is in, I don’t have my map at the moment, but I think it is about 35kms to Trimble Creek, which is a couple hour ride for sure from the airstrip gate. And then it is either by foot, horse, or snowmobile, as no quads past there allowed....access is indeed lousy. Hopefully there is snow for you, however the first 13kms of the Sikanni Trail, before it splits to Trimble Trail, will probably be plowed, and not sure how friendly for snowmobiles.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Ok thank you. I keep reading horror stories about how slick that hill gets. I have never seen anyone chain up their trailer but figured it could be done if needed. Lol.
    Looking at the map and talking to the areas CO that’s kinda of what I gathered. Starting to think I’ll be packing a wall tent in and setting up in C. That’s a long haul every morning and night. as for the sleds I’m not to concerned if I scratch em up a bit. I specifically bought them for this trip. As long as they keep goin For 2 weeks I’m happy!
    Anyone have any input as to why they have broken up the zones this way? Why did they decide to divide it differently now?
    It’s like they’re trying to make it harder to get in yet they opened a GOS around the leh zone for bison.... I guess that was to keep them contained in their area though...

That being said does anyone have any thoughts on how the GOS will affect the leh zone? Also what kind of success rates there will be in the GOS area? I asked the CO and also contacted the people who study the hunting areas and propose the changes and they are expecting a low success rate for the new area. I’m just wondering if that season is going to put the bison on higher alert to hunters or if they’re rarely out in those areas.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I will answer more later, but you can set a wall tent up basically at Trimble Creek, some well established sites nearby and lots of beetle kill pine for ye stove
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

The GOS is great for those that have a bison on their “to do” list, but I can’t think why we would not want them to expand their range? It’s not like they are invasive...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyM View Post
    Ok thank you. I keep reading horror stories about how slick that hill gets. I have never seen anyone chain up their trailer but figured it could be done if needed. Lol.
    Hubby got a bison draw several years ago up 7-42, they were successful after a week of hunting but they barely made it up that road on their way out. They had a F350 truck with camper towing a utility trailer, chained up the truck but it was touch and go for a bit. It gets slick that's for sure.

Thanks for all the replies! ��
    ya I’m thinking wall tent might be the way to go.
    Well I guess I’ll just be as prepared as possible Goin in there n hope we don’t end up stuck lol
    as for why they want to keep the bison from roaming I’m not 100% but I think it was because they were encroaching on the goats habitat or something. Ya know.... like how they think killing the moose is going to help bring down the wolf populations, so then they don’t eat as many Cariboo ��.