Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Area 5-15 Zone B - Moose - Quesnel Lake

Re: Area 5-15 Zone B - Moose - Quesnel Lake

Grizzly bears come down to the shore of Quesnel lake mainly in November when the kokanee are spawning. I was at the mouth of the north arm in a 16' Bayliner today when the wind pick up to 15kms an hour. I wouldn't want to be in anything smaller. So much debris in the lake this year. Leaving 3/4 of your moose while you ferry it back and forth to your vehicle. It might not be there when you get back. Bears can smell meat 4 miles away.
    You know that saying be prepared. Quesnel Lake is be prepared and have a plan "B". 2 extra days of food minimum.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Damn all this talk about that zone is really making me glad we got our draw in zone A as zone B was our secondary applications! The logistics of this hunt sound much more daunting than renting a cabin and hunting the beautiful country side for a month.

all the best with your hunt OP!
    If you get bored, we are just down at crooked lake.. you’re welcome to come say hi and tell us about your moose when you get it

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    Thanks, Willyqbc.

Is it the inflatable aspect that you see an issue with the most, or the fact that I'd be under powered? More power is a possibility. Adding more length wouldn't increase my tube size though.

I don't know the area so I value your opinion. I was originally thinking I'd never be more than 1nm from land so i could probably pull up to avoid the weather and avoid travelling if there was wind in the forecast. It sounds like maybe I should reconsider. What is the cause of the wind? Is it just the wind tunneling in a N-S direction?
    You’re grossly underpowered for the hull, and storms come up quickly and violently. Many areas you don’t have anywhere to pull up, and if you do you may not get it tied up.

I run a 15 1/2’ with a 90 hp, and have had more than one uncomfortable moment on that lake, and have been on it in 25’ with a 454 crew boats and had uncomfortable moments in that too. It is not a body of water to take lightly and with an underpowered, slow boat with a heavy load.

The reason your draw has good odds is very tough access, and relatively few people are properly prepared to handle the access properly, which is why most end up clustered along the few km of the zone that is accessible by road.

I have been fortunate to have never been caught in a big storm on this lake but have enjoyed lots of nice days on it. From Elysia you’ll be crossing through ‘Junction’ country to get to the north Arm. This crossing is what I would be worried most about. Once on North arm you could stick tight to shore and pull up your rig if you see a storm coming. But I agree with everyone else you will be a little under powered/sized with that rig. Not impossible but potential for some nerve wracking moments and/or prolonged time waiting things out on shore.

i was there the week prior to this storm camped at the same ‘dump’, glad we missed it

https://www.wltribune.com/news/power...ausing-damage/

Mutineer....my concern is both the low sides (lack of freeboard) and the lack of power. Quesnel lake is funny, I've seen waves setting up in there unlike anywhere else I've been. You will have days in the junction (which you'll have to cross) where the wind is coming from multiple directions and the waves just "stand" in place, surging 2 feet up and down without moving down the lake, or they come stacked so close together that you just Crest one and you're allready getting hit with the next. I've had waves pushing me one direction, while the wind pushes another...strange stuff happens out there.
    I have had many occasions in my boat in the north arm where I needed to pull in to shore and wait it out, that's not what concerns me. What does, is the 2 occasions where the waves were coming so tall, and so close together that I couldnt do anything but go head on into it....I desperately wanted to get off the lake, but couldnt even angle toward shore without these waves slamming me sideways and threatening to swamp me. The scariest part is how fast it can get on ya on quesnel lake....one minute youre on glass, 5 minutes later...4 footers!!

Please dont misinterpret, I think your basic plan for this hunt is good, it's just the boat that's not appropriate!

Thick - I watched that storm tear the plato island marina to shreds from my deck.....honest 6-7 footers....it was biblical!! Haha!!

Hope this helps!
    Chris
    Last edited by willyqbc; 07-09-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Slight de rail but might apply....... Why is this lake so nuts? I know Tisdal lake can get super "Camp wrecking" windy as well...

Thanks RyoTHC, Tiggr, TimberPig, Thick, Willqbc.

Like 835, I'm a very curious person so I was wondering what it is specifically about this lake, but I do understand that there are some places in the world that are just nasty. I can't see the depth affecting the wave patterns, so I guess its just the weather in the area and the orientation of the lake, debris etc. If you can't haul out that's a concern, and it sounds like you'll always be broadside.

I had a good chat with Srupp and he made me realize that I have lots of options, some of which I never considered. Thanks again Srupp. I expect that I will change my plan and possibly use a rental for a day or two. I'll likely go up and check things out for myself in about a month. I'm not afraid of a challenge. For me, part of the allure of the area was the fact that the lake has some big fish I can target while taking a break from moose.

Although new to hunting, I'm no stranger to the water, but I'm usually on the saltchuck. I grew up on an island and owned a boat before I owned a car. I've worked on small fishing boats in the Bering Sea, Adak, Kodiak, QCI, Rupert, Vancouver Island, North of the Arctic Circle, Sargasso Sea, Northern Labrador and Greenland etc.

I took an office job in Victoria a couple years ago and do not have a place to store a boat. Since I don't want to pay for storage, I was thinking an inflatable like an SD488 might do the trick for hunting and dropping some crab traps in the harbour at home during the winter if I pick my days selectively. It has a "loading capacity" of 2100 lbs. I was thinking a dressed moose plus my kit would be 1/2 or less of the rated capacity. the free-board and hull are concerns, and I've always used traditional hulls. So it sounds like my hopes are unrealistic if I want to stay safe. I might see if I can come up with another plan, while still being on the lake. It wasn't purchased yet, so there was some flexibility.

two summers ago I was flying my plane through the Robson trench which is just on the other side. One minute it was perfect VFR, 5 minutes later I was landing in McBride and setting up my tent for the night in a lightning storm. So, I definitely believe everyone when they say it can get nasty fast. If I were in a boat, it would be mad dash to get to shore.

Sounds like you have an interesting story to you Mutineer,, and now your handle makes sense! lol....

I think it's just the shape of the lake and topography that do it. The north arm and east arms are relatively narrow and steep, I think the morning thermals can end up fighting the prevailing wind and causing some weird stuff. You also have 3 seperate valleys funneling different weather in towards the junction. I have been in 3 footers coming out of the north arm, round the corner at "Hitler rock" out into the main body of the lake...and its glass...

I have seen a north wind coming out of the north arm, an east wind coming from the east arm, and a prevailing west wind in the main body of the lake....all at the same time....that's where you get some crazy stuff like the standing waves I mentioned above. Anyway, sounds like you're plenty well versed in your big water skills so hopefully our descriptions of what to expect help ya plan a safe and enjoyable trip. I doubt I'd be able to do a drop off/pick up....but would probably be available for a day of snooping around the north arm if you wanted to have a look!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Thanks for the reply Chris.