Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Area 5-15 Zone B - Moose - Quesnel Lake

Area 5-15 Zone B - Moose - Quesnel Lake

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum.

I'm fairly new to hunting and won a bull moose tag in area 5-15 B from Sept 10-30. I don't know the area.

I know I'll likely get some criticism, but I was wondering if someone could critique this plan:

Planning to go on Sept 18. Transportation and finding a good spot is my main concern, I'm planning on launching an inflatable at Elysia resort, crossing the channel, which is about 2 miles and following the east coast of the North Arm while scouting. Then to the end of the lake and as far up the river as I can get with an inflatable with a short shaft motor assuming nothing catches my eye. Does anyone know how far up the river I would be able to get without pulling out? I'll likely have minimal help, so the idea is to quarter or even bone the moose then run it back to the resort by water.

I know the lake can get pretty messy, but I'm thinking I can avoid those days. I have an in reach with weather capability and spent 14 years of my life working at sea. Planning on using a 14ft inflatable with a 6hp outboard, if people think the plan is realistic. Little concerned about the Grizzlies, it sounds like there would be lots.

Might be willing to take someone on and sharing the meat if they are interested.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Area 5-15 Zone B - Moose - Quesnel Lake

You won’t make it any significant distance up the river in a prop drive boat.

Your boat needs a lot more motor for that lake and load to fulfill your plan.

Your basic approach may work, but the logistics of making it happen needs some work, and likely slightly different equipment (bigger motor at least).

Quote Originally Posted by TimberPig View Post
    You won’t make it any significant distance up the river in a prop drive boat.

Your boat needs a lot more motor for that lake and load to fulfill your plan.

Your basic approach may work, but the logistics of making it happen needs some work, and likely slightly different equipment (bigger motor at least).
    Congrads on the draw...however as has been politely pointed out the lake is deep, dangerous..both arms are nasty..some huge challenges.
    Motor is too small for safety
    Boat design is wrong for Quesnel lake
    Hmm rent a boat from Elyshia ? Motor too.

Your timing is wrong for your approach.
    Please send a pH number if you like I would call..lol probably have keys for cabin at end of North arm from working for Betty
    I'm gone on holidays in a few days..if your calling..
    Congrads on the win.
    Steven Rupp

Having had a place on Q-lake for 6 years now....I will echo what others have said. I run an 18' welded aluminum with a 115 and I pick my days to run all the way up the north arm. Even on good weather days the north arm tends to blow up around 10 am. Attempting it in the rig you describe would not be advisable!!
    Good luck with your draw!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Mutineer,
    PM srupp, he has helped many many here.... He has offered help to you. Take it. His knowledge of where you are going is far more than most anyone.

Thanks Srupp.

I sent you a PM.

Please read Willyqbc"..he spends far more time on the lake..
    I will call
    steven

Thanks, Willyqbc.

Is it the inflatable aspect that you see an issue with the most, or the fact that I'd be under powered? More power is a possibility. Adding more length wouldn't increase my tube size though.

I don't know the area so I value your opinion. I was originally thinking I'd never be more than 1nm from land so i could probably pull up to avoid the weather and avoid travelling if there was wind in the forecast. It sounds like maybe I should reconsider. What is the cause of the wind? Is it just the wind tunneling in a N-S direction?

Hmm I will call later today.the wind comes foment the north arm.shows up as a black pencil line...by then you are moments from major issues....
    I have dumped a boat..several friends.same thing...
    The size of the boat is wrong
    inflatable is wrong
    Motor is too small
    Your enthusiasm is wonderful.
    Cheers
    Steven

Hmmm oh yes second highest concentration of grizzlies in BC..
    QUESNEL lake is actually the largest salmon spawning chanel in the world...Sept fish buffet.
    Bears there have nasty tempers..
    But there are mosey there..
    Steven