Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Urgent notice to bc hunters

Re: Urgent notice to bc hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Interesting read Rob .... I am thinking that if one was to buy a licence from an indigenous band to hunt (whatever including grizzly) on unceded territory
    ( formerly crown land ) charges would likely be dismissed in court ? BC hunting licences will be a thing of the past very soon .

I don't think these points were offered yet.

Under Canadian law, First Nations can already sell hunting licences for Reservation land.
    They could try to extend this to traditional lands.

However, under Canada law, First Nations must currently obtain Federal approval to sell these licences, which includes requirements to produce and have approved a wildlife management plan.
    First Nations could attempt to sell licences without Federal aproval.

However, Provincial and Federal governments have jurisdiction over transportation of wildlife over and across their borders.

The Provinces, BC in this case, could disallow any importation of wildlife killed under the "authority" of a licence issued by a FN.
    The Federal gov. could disallow the export of wildlife killed under the "authority" of unapproved FN issued licences.

In other words, this is not an easy path for FN's to just do 'cause they want to.
    Federal and Provincial governments will have to be complicit.

^^^^ Wow. Now that is some interesting stuff.

- Are we going to see a recognized "border" between FNs land and the rest of the province? We have boundaries now, but do they rise to the level of borders? Interesting.

- Then there is the whole reserve vs. title lands vs. treaty lands vs. traditional territory.

The times they are a changing.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

There certainly are distinct borders with provincial jurisdiction and Indian Reserves (IR).
    IRs are Federal lands under federal jurisdiction and control.
    Provincial hunting laws do not apply.

You do not need a provincial hunting licence to hunt on IRs.

If the Reserve, such and many in Saskatchewan that offer outfitting on their Reserve land under Federal approval, these animals can be /imported/exported with the authority of the Federal licence.
    IRs that have not submitted a wildlife/hunting plan from the Feds, typically allow non-member hunting based on verbal permission and conditions. Non-treaty non-Nation hunters can kill all the animals the Nation allows. The challenge is legally transporting the hunted wildlife OFF of the Reserve. Technically, this wildlife is being imported into provincial jurisdiction, which requires a provincial permit.

In Alberta, unwritten provincial policy is to allow a valid and current provincial hunting licence for specific animals to be used as an import permit to transfer animals killed on Reserves to be transported into the Province.
    I have no idea what the BC policy is.
    So, while You do not need a provincial hunting licence to hunt on IRs,
    you might need one to remove that animal from the reserve.

As you noted, how the courts and provincial/federal governments react to new First Nation rights and agreements to "traditional lands" needs to be vigilantly watched by the non-Indian hunting community and our stakeholder reps. Things could change very fast.
    Last edited by Walking Buffalo; 07-14-2020 at 05:44 PM.

^^^^^Again, very interesting stuff (and I bet you're in a small minority for understanding it).

Thanks for sharing that info.
    Rob Chipman

Looking at the greater context, is this an attempt of the Federal government, or specifically the judiciary, to mitigate Provincial power?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

^^^^I doubt it. Two textbook conspiracy critiques apply:
    1) Don't diagnose conspiracy when stupidity explains it, and;
    2) wolves don't conspire to kill sheep - its just their nature.
    Rob Chipman

Maybe we should withhold a portion of our taxes. If we loose access to lands that every taxpayer own in B.C.(theoretically), why should we be paying for something we can’t use?
    Just thinking out loud.
    If ownership of natural resources doesn’t stay within public taxpayer control, major revolts will likely happen.
    Politicians have a way of cocking up anything they touch speaking in the broad term. A rare few make a difference for everyone,
    most don’t.
    Sad really when you stop and ponder that...

lost out on the UN seat things might change again?
    That's good news. Now if we could get rid of Trudope things will get better.

Abbyfireguy:

"Maybe we should withhold a portion of our taxes"

As this world.....um....changes faster and faster (yeah, that's the way to put it) more and more people are thinking out loud like you on a vareity of topic relating to taxes. A recent example from south of the line regarding the hot topic of Covid and opening schools led to a comment by one guy who said "I don't care if you open our don't open the schools. But if you don't open them give me my tax money back so I can pay for my kid's education myself".

We'll probably see more of that sentiment. You're not being unreasonable when you ask "Why do I pay taxes?" That is always a fair question.

Rob Chipman

Eventually, the growing hatred of Indians due to this sort of chicanery will motivate some citizens to become violent to preserve OUR rights and I feel that this is now certain to happen.