Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgent notice to bc hunters

Re: Urgent notice to bc hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    Well that's just great you chose the, 'wait until the worst happens and then say F U, reckless route'

I'm sure your hunts will be a great time every time you go out risking trespassing, criminal offenses and risking losing your license and firearms, massive fines....

I'm sure new generations of hunters will be thrilled to get into it.

Any thoughts for your kids, grand kids, legacy for other Canadians losing their shared public lands?
    Well said sir!

Dear Ms. Relies;

I am a long time resident of your constituency and long time supporter of the BC Liberal party and their governments. I have also been a resident hunter over the last 45 years, always following the appropriate laws and protocols. Getting into the back country has been a source of much pleasure and “grounding” over the years, with any harvest being a pleasant but not expected result.
    Below is a posting from a BC hunting Facebook group I belong too. The post raises some very concerning issues about accessibility to crown lands for the purpose of hunting. I am absolutely opposed to any measure to restrict access to crown land whether or not it is being described as “traditional native lands”. This might also be the first step towards having a fee charged for a citizen to access crown lands being paid to indigenous groups for hunting but also by extension other non hunting recreation.
    It would seem in the present political climate, the present NDP government is a willing partner in facilitating this type of accommodation to the indigenous population of BC. Without doubt there have been historical injustices inflicted on the indigenous populations. That being said there has also been significant accommodations and reparations attempted and achieved. The most recent LNG hereditary chief standoff being one where there was accommodations made with little or no information being made public, not to mention debate.
    I would like to know if you, as my MLA, are aware of this move to effectively restrict access to B.C. back country and if there is any movement on behalf of the opposition to address this possibility?

CC'd to Vpalmer@Vancouversun.com & Keith Baldrey
    Last edited by Stresd; 07-08-2020 at 06:10 PM.

^^^^well written........

It says “Hunting on First Nation Reserves or Treaty lands, is a privilege and not a right. Permission is required” no different than your or my private properties, “traditional territory” is crown land and no where does it say permission is required, just like the synopsis. Treaties are a good thing. Most Bands will give you permission for recreation and hunting on their land, just as a lot of other land owners will.

Quote Originally Posted by mulemania View Post
    It says “Hunting on First Nation Reserves or Treaty lands, is a privilege and not a right. Permission is required” no different than your or my private properties, “traditional territory” is crown land and no where does it say permission is required, just like the synopsis. Treaties are a good thing. Most Bands will give you permission for recreation and hunting on their land, just as a lot of other land owners will.
    Man....do I wish people would stop thinking of PUBLIC land as crown land...what a stupid, outdated term. Maybe if we get used to believing that it’s PUBLIC land, we may take som interest, and accountability for it. And while we’re at it, let’s just consider “traditional territory” just that....a tradition. One that’s outlived its day. There have been lots of traditions go by the wayside....Christmas greetings and Christmas Follies at schools come to mind. Traditional territories may have been where some people spent their time....and you know what? That’s great. Celebrate the time you had there, and the things you did there....but times change, that time has passed, and it would have passed even without the mighty white oppressors.

The last thing I’m going to trust is that the bands will grant me permission for anything....if there’s something that’s been proven time and time again, it’s that politicians can’t be trusted and the bands are nothing more than political entities looking for political advantage. Back to that public land thing....not crown land, and not the land of any band.....PUBLIC LAND. Until I see a deed indicating some sort of paid up ownership.....traditional territory and crown land are just something in the imagination of some greedy politicians. The thought that someone is able to call land theirs.....PUBLIC land, without compensating the rightful owners....THE PUBLIC.....is not only disgusting, but a slippery slope...what’s next? Soon it will be something you care about......
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by mulemania View Post
    The difference is its all going to be treaty lands.
    Treaties are a good thing, my Grandfather was a signatory on one, a time of celebration back then, not now for Canadians who will lose pretty much everything.

Question for you...What gives you the idea that some of the Indian bands will give you permission?
    It has been my experience that they won't.....the anti hunter, anti another Indian, anti white is huge in some of them and you can call it systemic racism if you want or dont,,,,its systemic within Nations I have been privy too.
    What if they say no for whatever reason, then the next guy yes?...therein lies the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    well, all the first nations and their woke supporters should, as the old saying goes....."be careful what they wish for"

I have ALWAYS been a follower of the rules in general, but especially when it comes to my hunting and fishing. Have things gotten progressively tougher in that regard? yup....but with a bit of hard work I can still put some salmon, halibut, moose, deer, bear etc in my freezer. My family came to north america in the very early 1600's and were involved in NATION BUILDING activities like surveying the first trans canada telegraph lines....when the day comes that they hand it all over to the FN's and tell me i'm no longer ALLOWED to feed my family in the way my family has done here for 400 years......well....i suppose i'll become a criminal. I suspect a HUGE number of folks just like me will as well and it will just become a free for all. Good luck trying to police the tens of thousands of miles of backroads in this province with a woefully understaffed and unmotivated C.O. service. If the bands figure i'm gonna go ask permission, and pay them a fee......not gonna happen.....but I WILL have game in my freezer one way or another.

JMO
    I thought about what you say here for a couple days.
    My white blood came here in the early 1600 as well, my Native blood has been here longer. Its going to get interesting when I am confronted by someone denying my "right to hunt".
    Sounds like the politico's want to put things back to circa 1800 and the way they were then, indian bands in disagreement, extortion and backroom deals will abound, benefiting few.

The naivety by so many on this site with respect to where this is heading and what it will be like to deal with First Nations on "treaty lands" to which they have Aboriginal title is breathtaking. People who live in large urban centres and who have not had to live with and work with First Nations people have NO idea of where things are heading. Time to bone up on things and look to other places and see how large tracts of "Indian" land are managed by the different nations and just how welcome non-aboriginals are. You won't like it. People need to wake up. Just look at the one chunk of land in the Chilcotin and see that you are NOT welcome there. Now picture chunks of land like that all over the province. It will be a nightmare.

I can guarantee you that you will not be welcome on those lands, and the few that will allow you access to fish and hunt will be sticking a hefty price tag on it.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Man....do I wish people would stop thinking of PUBLIC land as crown land...what a stupid, outdated term. Maybe if we get used to believing that it’s PUBLIC land, we may take som interest, and accountability for it. And while we’re at it, let’s just consider “traditional territory” just that....a tradition. One that’s outlived its day. There have been lots of traditions go by the wayside....Christmas greetings and Christmas Follies at schools come to mind. Traditional territories may have been where some people spent their time....and you know what? That’s great. Celebrate the time you had there, and the things you did there....but times change, that time has passed, and it would have passed even without the mighty white oppressors.

The last thing I’m going to trust is that the bands will grant me permission for anything....if there’s something that’s been proven time and time again, it’s that politicians can’t be trusted and the bands are nothing more than political entities looking for political advantage. Back to that public land thing....not crown land, and not the land of any band.....PUBLIC LAND. Until I see a deed indicating some sort of paid up ownership.....traditional territory and crown land are just something in the imagination of some greedy politicians. The thought that someone is able to call land theirs.....PUBLIC land, without compensating the rightful owners....THE PUBLIC.....is not only disgusting, but a slippery slope...what’s next? Soon it will be something you care about......

you should re-write every document and map to rename it PUBLIC land then... as it stands it’s legally and always has been CROWN LAND some of it being provincial some being federal

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    The difference is its all going to be treaty lands.
    Treaties are a good thing, my Grandfather was a signatory on one, a time of celebration back then, not now for Canadians who will lose pretty much everything.

Question for you...What gives you the idea that some of the Indian bands will give you permission?
    It has been my experience that they won't.....the anti hunter, anti another Indian, anti white is huge in some of them and you can call it systemic racism if you want or dont,,,,its systemic within Nations I have been privy too.
    What if they say no for whatever reason, then the next guy yes?...therein lies the difference.
    Based off the difference on the every signed treaty so far, none of the bands received the traditional claimed territory. For example the local Powell river band received 6400H which was only a extremely small portion of the claim. They also state on their website recreation and hunting is permitted. They only ask you sign a wavier for being on their property.