Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Urgent notice to bc hunters

Re: Urgent notice to bc hunters

Interesting read Rob .... I am thinking that if one was to buy a licence from an indigenous band to hunt (whatever including grizzly) on unceded territory
    ( formerly crown land ) charges would likely be dismissed in court ? BC hunting licences will be a thing of the past very soon .

I think we'll go the way of South Africa soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

DannyBuoy wrote:

" I am thinking that if one was to buy a licence from an indigenous band to hunt (whatever including grizzly) on unceded territory
    ( formerly crown land ) charges would likely be dismissed in court ?"

That is an interesting prospect and a very pertinent question. I think the province and the feds are of the opinion that FNs are subject to provincial and federal law, but I'm not sure all FN members feel that way. It's tough to say that you're negotiation on a "nation to nation" basis while still maintaining that the First Nation concerned isn't sovereign. Still, I'm not sure that if, for example, the Tahltan Central Government gave you permission to hunt and kill a G-bear that you'd be ok with the province. Clearly that will be something that needs to be sorted out going forward.

I think it's important to recognize that any land that hasn't formally been ceded to by a FN to someone else is "unceded territory", but what exactly does that mean? I live on the unceded territory of the Squamish, Tsleil Waututh and Musqueam nations.

Now, I bought and paid for that property and received title that had been originally granted by the Crown. Did the Crown ever properly acquire that title from the FNs involved? Did the Crown sell....stolen property?

Who knows? Greater minds than ours are going to figure that out, but this first occurred to me when I read on a provincial website somewhere that fee simple title in Tsilhqot'in Declared Title lands would have to be figured out. I thought "WTF do you mean? Fee simple is sacrosanct".

I've done some research and I think I might be wrong on that. I'm pretty sure there are some guys in the Chilcotin who will say "Nice to see you guys catching up on what's going on".

The majority of BC is unceded. That doesn't mean that any particular FN has the right to make laws on unceded territory. I think they need to conclusively establish Aboriginal Title first. For example, I think everyone who matters (ie, the Feds, the province and the Tsilhqot'in) agree that the TNG can make laws that apply within the Tsilhqot'in Nation Declared Title Lands.

But I also think there are some Tsilhqot'in who feel that they can apply that law over their whole traditional territory.

Add in that lots of land in BC is traditional territory of more than one nation, so things are going to get....squishy.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Rob , Yup . it will get tested in court , problem for the regular bc resident will be the high paying "customers" and friends and family will get priority

^^^^^ You are correct. We're far removed from the idea that there is one set of rules for everyone and everyone gets treated fairly. Lots of people getting a bit screwed in a bunch of differing ways.
    Rob Chipman

The Natives would still be throwing rocks at their next meal if we weren't here.

Rob, you insinuated that I am complaining, and also that I am a racist. Both points are very far from the truth. My post was merely to point out that racism cuts both ways, and people like myself are being discriminated against already (May 1st OIC allows one “race” to be exempted from the new law). It is only going to get worse. I was stating, and I will again now, EQUALITY means EQUAL treatment for ALL. No special treatment for any one group. Turning back the clock is impossible, but going forward towards REAL equality is possible.

You dont see me or my relatives going back to the Crimea to reclaim our ancestral lands after we had to flee the communists in the early 1920s. My family lost vast land holdings and arrived in Canada in 1922 with the clothes on their backs and little else. We adapted...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Rob, you insinuated that I am complaining, and also that I am a racist. Both points are very far from the truth. My post was merely to point out that racism cuts both ways, and people like myself are being discriminated against already (May 1st OIC allows one “race” to be exempted from the new law). It is only going to get worse. I was stating, and I will again now, EQUALITY means EQUAL treatment for ALL. No special treatment for any one group. Turning back the clock is impossible, but going forward towards REAL equality is possible.

You dont see me or my relatives going back to the Crimea to reclaim our ancestral lands after we had to flee the communists in the early 1920s. My family lost vast land holdings and arrived in Canada in 1922 with the clothes on their backs and little else. We adapted...
    Similar to my heritage.

I will say, I'm grateful that my ancestors were integrated into the British Empire, the most just and prosperous society in history.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Rob, you insinuated that I am complaining, and also that I am a racist.
    No insinuation or offence intended. If I felt you were those things I'd just tell you. Sorry if you took it the the wrong way. It's a difficult subject to talk frankly about without risking offending someone.

I share your values about equality. There should be no special treatment for everyone, and any past injustices should be remedied in a way that puts everyone on equal footing.

Racism cuts both ways. I understand and accept that.

However, we live in a country where not everyone holds those values. We have laws that explicitly contradict them. You and I both know that.

So, what do we do? If you're talking about maintaining access to the land base then I recommend coming together and crafting an effective response. Complaining that as white male you're discriminated against probably isn't the sort of response that we'll find to be effective. I think you and I both know that too.

If you're talking about some sort of larger culture war or concerted political action to get different politicians running the show and have the current trends reversed, fly at 'er. My agenda is full with what I'm trying to accomplish now.

Anyway, no offence intended and no charge of being a racist insinuated. I don't think you said anything untrue or unacceptable. A lot of people share your thoughts.
    Rob Chipman

For a bunch of the reasons Rob states in post #80......this train is going to run us over and theres no stopping that now. Does that mean we just roll over and take it? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Like many groups in history who have been kicked once too often, i say We revert to the fine tradition of civil disobedience and absolutely IGNORE whatever new rules they put out. En masse I think we all become poachers and trespassers on indian land. YES, you will have to risk being arrested and paying a fine, but realistically if enough folks are doing it, there will be very little that can be done in the way of enforcement. This province is just too big and its off highway road networks are far too complex. Not too mention, I suspect the CO's may be less than enthusiastic.

Seems to me, based on what i've seen lately, this is the M.O. most likely to get results
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson