Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pack Raft Hunting

Hybrid View

Pack Raft Hunting

With plans all in place for this year I am starting to research and plan 2021 hunts. I picked up an Alpacka raft a couple months ago and would like to do a float trip somewhere next year. I am looking at flying in to a lake somewhere and doing a float hunt from there. At this point I haven’t decided what species, hence what area to do this.
    We would likely be a party of 2-3 guys. Ideally we would be targeting caribou or elk, possibly moose but that might be too much animal for 3 rafts.
    What would you do? Any suggestions? Looking to her from others who have done this type of hunt before and would love to hear their thoughts, tips, experiences etc.

Thanks to all.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pack Raft Hunting

I am running the explorer 42. Anyone else use this raft?

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    I am running the explorer 42. Anyone else use this raft?
    looking at buying this raft. How do you like it? did you do a float trip? sounds like a great time.

There's also this option.....
    https://www.diypackraft.com

These look like https://kokopelli.com/ rafts

I haven’t done one yet with it. Just played with it a bit on the lake. It’s very stable and very well built.

did you buy it through the canadian dealer or right from alpacka? anything you don't like about the explorer? I think i like the extra weight capacity in case i take one of the kids or use it to paddle out with some game. I see some guys using the one size bigger and paddling out a whole moose. Maybe an elk or caribou with the explorer?

Hey 264,

PM sent.

I bought an Alpacka Forager a couple years ago from Mt. Waddington in Chilliwack. They were great to deal with and their price was very fair.

I used mine on a hunt up near Redfern Lake, then again this year I put it in on the Elk River. I was in the stern on the lake but the river was super-shallow and my 200lbs on the stern kept arresting our movement so I sat mid-ships on the river. To our surprise, we friggin' capsized in an eddy when my wet rain pants slid over the inflatable bolster/seat. It was a Sept hunt in the Kootenays, so fairly warm and it wasn't an emergency situation but it made me a bit nervous about using it for real river use. I think a hard seat that kept me up above the gunnels would be way better. Sitting mid-ships I really didn't like the fact that my feat were the same height as my butt and I couldn't generate any power on the paddle.

All in all, I like it, but I need to tweak it considerably before I have confidence.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Just pulled the trigger on the Alpacka Explorer 42. anyone got any cool hunt ideas? i am thinking northern bc for stones and elk would be ideal.