Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth Elk Hunt 7-20A

Youth Elk Hunt 7-20A

Looking for somewhere to hunt elk in MU 7-20A with my 12 year old son who has an LEH for any elk Dec 1- Feb 28. Any private land owners that would allow us to take an elk please message me. We are quiet, respectful, and zero maintenance. Trying to get him his first animal!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth Elk Hunt 7-20A

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I was Hunting View Post
    Looking for somewhere to hunt elk in MU 7-20A with my 12 year old son who has an LEH for any elk Dec 1- Feb 28. Any private land owners that would allow us to take an elk please message me. We are quiet, respectful, and zero maintenance. Trying to get him his first animal!
    I live on the alta side of your zone. I would scout for a day and find out where the elk are feeding then ask for permission.

Yep. That is definitely the way to do it. Getting permission before hand really just wastes your time if you go out and sneak into a field and the elk haven’t been there for 2 months.

Yep that's for sure. It's a easy hunt but can also be difficult. I don't mind hunting in -30 but hate like hell to shoot something at that temp. Lol. The elk are generally easy to find because usually there's 80 or more and they sure trample the snow down. If they're not spooked they won't go far from where they're feeding. The one problem I've found is when there's that many is that once you shoot they run around in a circle so it might be difficult to tell which one you've shot. Be careful that you don't empty your gun and have 3 or 4 dead.

Thanks for the replies. I don’t know the area at all (it’s a huge area) so I was hoping there was a someone out there that could give me some help.

Where are you coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I was Hunting View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I don’t know the area at all (it’s a huge area) so I was hoping there was a someone out there that could give me some help.
    I live in the area. Google earth is definitely your friend if you’re not local. Areas near south facing slopes where the elk can find relief from the snow are good places to start. There’s also plenty of public land that is very productive, don’t feel like private land is the only way to go.

Also get a copy of the backroads mapbook for the area.
    There's no easy hunt up there anymore, and they move around a lot depending on pressure.
    Better luck with the deeper the snow and the colder it is.
    A quad with tracks might be handy to have.
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 07-05-2020 at 11:26 AM.

I live in Pemberton.

Just an FYI, I tried to reply to your message but it bounced back. Said your private messages folder is full.