Thread: Seeking Advice & Hunting Buddy

Seeking Advice & Hunting Buddy

Greetings fellow hunters. I am a retired businessman in his mid 60’s with a new passion for hunting and brand new to this site. I’d very much like to meet someone with similar interests or a group of other hunters who would welcome a newbie into their midst.

It is July 2020 as I write this. Thank goodness BC seems to be doing better than many other parts of the world in dealing with this pandemic. I’m married and live a middle-class lifestyle in downtown Langley. I completed the CORE and PAL courses a couple years ago and have both restricted and non-restricted status. I’m also a Range Officer at a local gun club.

My primary interest is small game up to and including deer. I particularly like the idea of squirrel, rabbit, grouse, pheasant, as well as other upland birds, turkey and deer for personal table fare. I’m also very interested in varmint and predator hunting such as gopher, fox, coyote and bobcat just for the fun of it and maybe the pelt if I knew a buyer for them.

I’m not into big game (bear, moose, elk, etc.) or water fowl but an occasional day or two out with a group of like minded, safety conscious guys in the fields, woods or open range would be great. I’ve read the synopsis, rules and regs as well as BC hunting website, etc but there’s no substitute for hands-on experience with someone who knows what they’re doing.

I have many questions about suitable places to hunt small game in the lower mainland and Fraser Valley as well as MUs 1,2,3,4 & 8. Maybe someone can help me figure out where I can find some form of map that identifies public land from private land. I do not want to accidentally trespass from ignorance but I have no reluctance asking a private land owner, logging company, farmer or rancher for permission to hunt their land if I know how to find them.

I’m also a new air gunner for those who enjoy farm and barnyard pesting. I would love to connect with someone for an afternoon or evening taking out pigeons, rats or other rodents with PCP air rifles.

In short, I’m looking for a mentor over the age of 30 who’s looking for a responsible hunting buddy, or a group of like-minded guys who share my interests and can educate me along the way.

Any and all advice and guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by RDJ; 07-03-2020 at 02:30 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Seeking Advice & Hunting Buddy

RDJ there is a hunting buddy classified section in Open Chat section of this forum. Post this there.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Great. Thanks. I'll look for it now. Much appreciated.

There's a group of us that meet the first Wednesday of the month at Jimmy Mac's pub , for wing and a good BS session. Check open chat in gatherings for more details
    Tight groups Safe hunts