Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If You Spot a Rifle in the Bush...?

Re: If You Spot a Rifle in the Bush...?

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Unfortunately, common sense is rather uncommon these days. The reason I suggested posting a link to the relevant law (thanks for that by the way), is to point out why this whole thread is stupid...
    If that's the case why didn't you post a link to the relevant law instead of suggesting using fake book.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    If that's the case why didn't you post a link to the relevant law instead of suggesting using fake book.
    Re-read my post Einstein. I never suggested using bookface or twatter or whatever instead of turning it in. I asked is one way MORE EFFECTIVE than the other at finding the rightful owner. I also stated “if you are LEGALLY allowed to retain it”. I added <> around the relevant part of that post so you can find it easier.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

And actually, I’m going to step back from calling this thread “stupid”, because as it has clearly shown, not many people actually knew the legal requirements of finding a firearm in the woods whilst in possession of a valid PAL. Now anyone who reads through this will see the actual law posted, and be better off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Exactly boxhitch. Leave a note. If they contact you and can describe the rifle, they get it. If not, wait for the next caller. Unless you dont have a PAL, there is no reason to take it to the cops.
    You may want to read your original post again. And yes I agree the post has served a useful purpose. I'll take the Einstein handle as a compliment. Thank you.

Well, apparently I’m smarter at 1:00 am than I am at other hours of the day. And nobody should take being called Einstein as an insult

I think the real question is, should you leave your rifle where you can't see it? You're technically breaking the law if you're leaving it unlocked and not in your direct possession. Technicalities aside, I'd look around just to make sure the guy didn't go take a leak and for some reason lost consciousness. You'd be surprised at how many people die while hunting. If the gun is still there when I come back, then I'd leave a note and take it to the CO.

If the rifle was someone it was unlikely anyone else would stumble upon it, I would just call it in and let them decide if they want me to bring it to them, if they just want to know where it is so they can grab it themselves, or if they want me to show them where it is.

If it was along a road or somewhere other people are likely to stumble upon it, I would take possession of it (or just stay with it if I had cell reception) and call it in.

Odds are slim, but the possibility always exists the gun is stolen or dumped "for reasons" to begin with so if possible I prefer to give the police opportunity for first touch.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Didn't want to mess up the lost rifle thread, but...

If you see a rifle sitting against a tree (obviously not been there for years) do you leave in case the dude come back looking for it, or do you pick it up and take it to the RCMP and post on social media about finding it?

Honestly not sure what to do, but I wouldn't really want to run into someone with their rifle in my truck (or him/her see it in there while I am out for a hunt). Leave it and come back, knowing that there are too many un-honest people out there that are stealing shit and wouldn't turn it in?
    the first thing you do is see if its loaded...secound see if it groups. third see if you can shoot somethingbqith it before it goes back to real owner.

If you carry a phone with you while hunting take a picture of it where you found it.. then leave a note with your contact info. Take it home and see if owner contacts you.. if after a week or so no call, take it to the RCMP and as others have said call ahead, leave it in the trunk till you meet with the constable. If the cops decide to conduct an investigation (who knows why) you have a picture of where you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Marginal note:Losing or finding

• 105 (1) Every person commits an offence who
      • (a) having lost a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any prohibited ammunition, an authorization, a licence or a registration certificate, or having had it stolen from the person’s possession, does not with reasonable despatch report the loss to a peace officer, to a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer; or
      • (b) on finding a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition that the person has reasonable grounds to believe has been lost or abandoned, does not with reasonable despatch deliver it to a peace officer, a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer or report the finding to a peace officer, a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer.

Sumonda see above. I’m not sure what individual peace officers would consider “reasonable despatch”, but I bet taking it home for “a week or so” doesn’t qualify.
    Last edited by Redthies; 07-08-2020 at 10:31 PM.