Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Spot a Rifle in the Bush...?

Re: If You Spot a Rifle in the Bush...?

two years ago I found a 303 rifle laying in a ditch along side of a hwy . couldn't stop at time as i was driving a loaded logging truck so i made a note of where it was and stopped on the way back. long story short i phoned the rcmp and stayed until they showed up ( never touch it didnt know what it was use for)cop picks up the rifle there was one in the chamber and magazine was full . so anyways no one claimed it in one year so they phoned me up and asked if i wanted it, i said sure .So now its in my gun safe

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I found one on the Kobe’s creek FSR up north. Right in the middle of the road, loaded with one in the chamber and five in the tube! Took to the RCMP, no one claimed it, so they offered it to me. I told them to destroy it. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    No one who hunts with a clip rifle ever admits losing there there clip (magazine)
    Lol my dad lost one up around cache creek, thought it was clipped in all the way and went for a walk, at some point it fell out

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    That's a shame. I'm sure a new hunter or somebody would have appreciated it.
    I'm guessing you're all for turning your guns in too...
    What an arrogant post, it's a free country, if he didn't want he didn't want it...Hell's it to you?

Hmm so you find a rifle in the bush.decide to take it home not involving the police..
    guy who lost it..REMER where he last had it..certain..and finds the spot..no rifle..he says to police..I left it there..it's NOW gone
    SOMEONE TOOK IT !
    So now. ..what do you do..
    1) you took it without implied consent ..theft
    2) didn't turn it in / over to police..implied consent would have covered you straight to police involvement
    3) get and extra charge possession of stolen property..
    Would this happen...it could why chance it..
    I found $45,000 in cash in the washroom of a cruise ship..in a wallet
    Went straight to management even to point of being late for a formal dinner with the best looking babe on the entire ship..Susan.
    The boat management took photos, recorded every series number..all, cars slips papers in this wallet.
    Then they took ALL my information. .then asked what country I was from..ridiculing my decision to surrender such a wad of cash
    I said Canada
    They said..that figures
    Hmm mm
    Just my views
    Srupp

Pretty sure you are required to report lost or stolen firearm so if it's all on the up and up the guy has already let the cops know. If it's not I wouldn't want to be in possession of the gun.Any thread on here re a lost gun the guys who have lost it reported to the cops so why keep it. From what others have said if no one claims it you may get it.

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    No one who hunts with a clip rifle ever admits losing there there clip (magazine)
    I was finishing clearing out a plugged culvert while bear hunting this spring, and while leaned way over pulling the last few sticks out, I felt my chest pocket get lighter, and heard a little splash into the now-roaring little stream. Yup, it was my clipazine, and 3 rounds. Gone. Gravel was washing downstream in a hurry at that point, with some precious metal in the mix.

Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm so you find a rifle in the bush.decide to take it home not involving the police..
    guy who lost it..REMER where he last had it..certain..and finds the spot..no rifle..he says to police..I left it there..it's NOW gone
    SOMEONE TOOK IT !
    So now. ..what do you do..
    1) you took it without implied consent ..theft
    2) didn't turn it in / over to police..implied consent would have covered you straight to police involvement
    3) get and extra charge possession of stolen property..
    Would this happen...it could why chance it..
    I think the point is, if you FIND something on crown land with no obvious signs of it being put somewhere on purpose ie: a object in the middle of the road with a divot like it fell of a truck or quad, you are NOT going to be charged with theft. If you “find” a campsite full of tents, coolers, chairs etc and take that, well, that’s a different story.

There is no actual law statute stating you have to turn things in, but there is a “law” of common sense and consideration. Is it any more effective giving the found object to the police, or posting “I found X” on Y road on day Z here and on the bookface. If you lost it, get in touch and describe the item to get it back. If you can show you made efforts to find is owner, a theft charge is not going to happen. <It would be prudent to find out for sure if it’s illegal to keep a found firearm>.

If you find find something valuable and make zero effort to find its owner, you are an ass, and karma will bitchslap you some day.

Edited to emphasize the point... which has now been clearly stated on page 5.
    Last edited by Redthies; 07-04-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Srupp
    Wow $45.000 that might have been a hard decision for me ,but you did the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    SOMEONE TOOK IT !
    No one has mentioned the converse -- if you lost a rifle in the woods would you report it to the police? How would you go about looking for it?