Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: If You Spot a Rifle in the Bush...?

Re: If You Spot a Rifle in the Bush...?

Not a lost rifle, but I did buy what may have been a stolen rifle once. Whether or not it was actually stolen was something I would question later on.
    A guy brought into the shop, in Kamloops, a Model 70 which had been broken at the grip and the tang was scraped up a bit. I bought the rifle, repaired the stock,and re-blued the receiver. It came out pretty good and shot well so I kept it.
    Some time later, an RCMP officer came into the shop in search of this "stolen" rifle. I produced the rifle, which had been recorded in our books, and it was confiscated. I was able to get in contact with the guy from whom I had bought the rifle. He had not been charged with anything at all; which I found to be a little strange. I was able to convince him that his life would be better, going forward, if he paid me what I had paid for the rifle plus the repairs and he did so. This was the end of it, as far as I was concerned.
    Fast forward three or four years. I was wandering through the gun show in Calgary when I spotted this model 70 on the table of an RCMP member. The rifle was easily recognizable because of the stock repair which I had done (and a damn fine job too). I mentioned to the guy that I was familiar with the rifle and was surprised to see the "stolen" gun on his table. He didn't seem to want to talk about it and soon took it off the table.
    If I found a rifle leaned against a tree today, I think I'd just tell a CO where it was and let it go at that. GD

Re: If You Spot a Rifle in the Bush...?

Crazy story GreyDog. I'm not surprised though...