Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept 5-15A Bull moose draw, anyone else here get it?

Hybrid View

Sept 5-15A Bull moose draw, anyone else here get it?

Well, this year the odds gods smiled on us in at least one way.. my hunting “group” was lucky enough to get this draw with two bull tags..

If anyone else is up there in that area around that time, feel free to PM me to chat.. we are there sept 1- Sept 30, alpine mulies prior to moose assuming I’m reading the regs correctly...

three of us applied for this draw but due to work it’s very likely our third won’t be able to join for more than a weekend, maybe two..

being set up for so long, in grizz country I feel like it may be a better idea to camp in the vicinity of others, maybe not in the same site by any means but in the same general area as some like minded people also out for the same reason would be ideal, so we can watch over each other’s camp, lend a hand if needed with a harvest or anything and swap BS stories after a tough day hunting.

pm or replies here are great.

also thanks to those who have already offered to help or already have been a huge help! We are going to make the most out of all the effort everyone is putting in, now it’s our job to get our boots in the mud and find our bull!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sept 5-15A Bull moose draw, anyone else here get it?

Hmm anything I can do to help..lol my old stomping grounds..still lots of moose there..
    congrads
    Srupp

Hunt elevation for muleys there

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Hunt elevation for muleys there

Mulies is the plan from opening day for them until opening day for moose... don’t have high expectations hunting anew area for mulies but I have all the gear to make it a go !

we ended up taking the safe way and booking a cabin at crooked lake for the month, leaving my trailer generator and all my supplies unattended for 10-14 hours a day for 30 days just didn’t seem appealing at all. This way we can go set up spike camps for a couple days at a time in areas at our leisure and know all our food fuel and supplies are safely locked up.

can not wait until sept !

also srupp, even in that one conversation we have had you have opened my eyes to a lot I would have overlooked you’ve been invaluable ! I have been spending hours scouting topos and trail maps, and have a pretty good plan thus far.. have my first two weeks locked down, just attempting to finalize the locations for spending the last week doing nothing but calling, we want to be remote enough that we won’t have anyone else scare off our shoot our (hopeful) bull, but have it be a reasonable pack out if possible.. but even if it’s not we are young and we only live once ! It’s what memories are made of.

Ill be interested to hear how you do? Im up there mid October looking to bag whatever you missed Any tips after your done would be greatly appreciated
    Morgan

Just wanted to bump this for anyone who was curious and PMed with suggestions,

The hunt ended up being a success with 1/2 tags filled, though several bulls were passed on before one was harvested.

Will be posting another thread with pictures and trip details once adjust to being back to civilization , 26 days off grid is euphoric !!

Congrats on the bull. Looking forward to the pics

Well, no world class story here... it’s better late than never, but this hunt opened my eyes to a lot of things.. two being that I don’t like to hunt far from home, and I don’t enjoy having the pressure of a LEH tag hanging over my head as it takes the fun out of the hunt..

I will say this hunt was ALOT more difficult than anticipated, the area had a lot of grizz and was a honey hole a decade prior, but no new logging, no fires etc has left it a grown in hell scape in a lot of places.. even with quads and chainsaws or hiking with machetes it wasn’t feasible..

out of the 5 groups at our camp, and the 9 groups total we spoke to regularly throughout the hunt, we were one of only two groups to fill a tag, and every group left with extra tags.. we had a second we didn’t burn, but I’ll admit we had a couple chances at some small bulls, so that being said the area isn’t void of moose but the pre rut is TOUGH because they are up high, not where you’d expect a moose..

15days into our MOOSE hunt, myself and my partner were discounted at the lack of sightings and sign even though we had been out every single day rain or shine, even though we didn’t know the area since we both had a tag we decided the hell with it and split up and went solo.. that first afternoon of being solo I headed up to the alpine, found the snow line and lots of moose sign.. following the moose sign there was a bachelor group of 4 points hanging out in a bowl, I decided I’d rather not go home after taking a month off empty handed so I let the .308 rip at the smallest one, knowing I was a long way away from the vehicle and had no help..

now back to moose

We were there for the duration of the season, arrived 5 days early to scout, and I connected with a bull on the 17th day of hunting and 3rd last day of season at 8! Yards, and damn near the snow line elevation wise in a little alpine bowl.. I had attempted to call in two moose prior that I had no luck with, my cow calling was terrible... so when I heard this guy, I decided.. I’m going to make bull sounds.. well, this pissed him off and lit a fire under his ass! Unfortunately he was NOT coming out of the trees, even after a half hour of talking back and fourth.. I’d hear him grunt, huff snort and take but he wouldn’t come forward.. after a while, I decided maybe a cow call would work.. one cow call from me and radio silence from the bull for 15 minutes !!! Panicked I decided I didn’t want to lose what could be my last opportunity, so I moved ahead loudly, raking a shed antler, grunting and breaking sticks..
    a minute or two pass by and ive covered the entirety of the distance of the clearing and get to the thick stuff he’s in...

looking through the small windows of branches I see a flash of antler here and hide there.. I realize this isn’t a small bull, and I need to be smart.. slowly climb up on a slash pile to get some elevation, make eye contact with the bull and he veers up to turn away and run.. without second thought I let one round from my .308 fly and then the crashing began... what sounded like a heard of elephants destroying the bush lasted for about 30-60 seconds then silence.. I wasn’t sure what to think.. I waited about 10 minutes and couldn’t contain myself any longer so I anxiously headed in...

less than 5 yards from where I shot this bull, he was laying in all his glory..
    this will be a hunt I will remember for the rest of my life, but I won’t be in a rush to do again!

If you were in the Crooked Lake area, I have found that moose calls only bring Griz,,lol

We stayed at crooked lake, they are great people!
    but you’re right.. cow calls got attention from bears and wolves and the moose went silent..

just glad we figured that out before season ended... I’m sure when rutt is in full swing they will make mistakes but pre rut they aren’t dumb! Or they’d be dog food.