Thread: What you need to pack out with a black bear?

What you need to pack out with a black bear?

Hey All!

I haven’t hunted black bear in a long time but I’m planning on taking one on my September alpine hunt. As far as I can tell all I need to pack out is all edible portions. My area does not have compulsory inspection so hide or scull are not needed. Also evidence of sex isn’t need either right?

Am I correct in this?
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What you need to pack out with a black bear?

First you have to see that there are no cubs around the bear you want to harvest. 2nd I don't bring the hide back with me either. 3rd All edible portions means the rib meat too. I prop the head up on a stump for the other hunters to watch. I have shot 5 bears over the last 6 years and the lightest was just 40lbs of meat and the heaviest was 70lbs of meat. Decision to completely remove all the meat or carry the carcase out is decided by the bug population. I leave the guts/hide/head behind and leep frog the meat out to avoid feeding other bears my meat. Or buy that neat deer cart.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

All edible portions including the rib and neck meat.

Anything bloodshot around where the bullet went through is not edible IMHO.

And you don't have to actually pack out the ribs. I just fillet off what can and usually there is connective tissue between the ribs left over. I watched some videos about the "rib roll" technique but I have yet to master it.

Evidence of sex, hide, skull, etc are not necessary. No legal obligation to pack out any of those things.

Thank you for confirming what I understood from reading the regulations.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

Anytime. Looking forward to hearing the story when you get back from the alpine hunt.

The evidence of sex issue is hugely controversial. I know and there are members here that have gotten either a ticket or a warning for not proving sex when getting stopped. Word of caution that's all!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    The evidence of sex issue is hugely controversial. I know and there are members here that have gotten either a ticket or a warning for not proving sex when getting stopped. Word of caution that's all!!
    This is an example of why it is sometimes a good idea to CYA with some things. You are never guaranteed that the officer that stops you will be completely up on the regs. I have seen guys tagged for doing something that was illegal in other MU's but completely legal in the zone they were hunting in...the CO was wrong and things got sorted, but it cost a bunch to get it sorted.

This is why I ALWAYS leave evidence of sex and species on all game no matter where I am hunting. It is a good practice to get into and it is so very simple to do. Same reason why I trigger lock rifles and shotguns, and case them in vehicles when I am heading out to go hunting or coming home from hunting. You do not need to, but it is way easier on the pocket book to just take an extra step that just might save you from a lot of hassle and expense. I am not rich and the "justice system" does not reimburse you for proving you were right!!
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    This is an example of why it is sometimes a good idea to CYA with some things. You are never guaranteed that the officer that stops you will be completely up on the regs. I have seen guys tagged for doing something that was illegal in other MU's but completely legal in the zone they were hunting in...the CO was wrong and things got sorted, but it cost a bunch to get it sorted.

This is why I ALWAYS leave evidence of sex and species on all game no matter where I am hunting. It is a good practice to get into and it is so very simple to do. Same reason why I trigger lock rifles and shotguns, and case them in vehicles when I am heading out to go hunting or coming home from hunting. You do not need to, but it is way easier on the pocket book to just take an extra step that just might save you from a lot of hassle and expense. I am not rich and the "justice system" does not reimburse you for proving you were right!!
    I am with you on this.
    I take a few extra steps just to cover my ass.
    The bear from last year, we even filmed bursting the gall bladder, just to let the CO's know if we got stopped, that they need not go looking for it.
    Anything I can do to help make the process smoother, imo.